Rooster with a Respiratory Problem

Thank you guys. I really appreciate all your help. Especially all the links, dlhunicorn. It will take me forever to get through them, but I have a feeling it will be worth it. What I've read so far seems really good. I'm thinking the fact that they keep spilling the water in the coop may be a biggie. It's not airy enough to dry out well. It's one of those things that are on my husband's to-do list ( fixing the gates, putting a permanent roof on the goat pen...making the chicken coop a better place...) I think I'll run down to the feed store and check on wormers and antibiotics for respiratory. Also, cleaning and drying the pens out and figuring a new watering method.

have a read:

http://shagbarkbantams.com/page11.htm

you can scroll down to the bottom and see Poultry Health Articles..
more info, and other articles.

I personally prefer Tylan 200 or 50 injectible for respiratory illness.
about how much does your roo weigh?
(tylosin dose: 35mg/kg)

(antibiotics do not treat viruses)

could be stress from being held, or reaction to molds, respiratory illness, or heart related.

tho he might appear calm..he could be very stressed and not showing it..he could simply be "freezing up" when he just sits there.

what sort of waterer are you using?

an article and info about Eprinex/ivermectin:

http://shilala.homestead.com/ivomec.html

* sammi, I'm thinking the roo may have aspirated a smidgeon by being held wrong. . .
hmm.png

it's possible..aspiration would cause an infection..
most likely bacterial..from contents of crop.
and it would be hard to differentiate, tho gurgling could be a sign.

I'm thinking aspiration would cause a pneumonia like
problem with fluid in the lungs.
a vet would need to determine that, and best way to treat, if any.

maybe others might have opinions about that.

I have a hen , she is 6 now and 2 weeks ago she started to have a slight cough. Took her to the vet, they checked everything , all normal. She had her shot , like the spot on treatment but a shot. Everything got better, then last night the cough returned, very tired not eating, took her back to the vet and he gave her a shot of antibiotics, and liquid to give her every am. Orbax oral suspension. 1/2 an hour ago she started to have a raspy cough. I don't know where to go from here. May have just been stress from the vet trip. keeping her quiet. anyone any ideas?

Back
Top Bottom