Rooster with an Attitude

Yup some fowl are just plain mean.Many years ago I got a strain of Blues .I crossed them with a family of white hackles I had for many years.Well the Blue fowl were just plain mean.However they possessed a trait that caught my eye.I figured the easy mannered white hackles would calm the man fighter instincts down .Nope I had one on a 50 run cord similar to a dog run.I was at the end of the run rooster flew approx 35 ft straight for my face I turned my back and the shuffle left me leaking fairly good.Went to the house got patched up .Then sharpen my machete and went to work . Not all were as bad as he was but all when you picked them up bite you and try to shuffle.Culled everything had the blood in it and the brood fowl they came from.You breed manfighters you get manfighers.Cheers

Just an update on our rooster with an attitude. I tried continually going out into the run making sure I was not wearing bright colors etc but to no avail. First thing this morning when I went out he came at me and after I knocked him down he came at me again. We decided it was not worth taking a chance that he might do this to someone else or especially to one of our small grandsons. He is gone now and I do have to say despite how he behaved it really makes me sad to have to put one of our chickens down. I hate it. Just hate it. Thank you to everyone for your comments and advice!
Here recently twice when I have gone into our chickens run I have had our rooster come at me. The first time I could tell he was going to fly up at me and I deflected him with my foot. He came right back at me and I booted him good and he backed down.
Today I went into the run after giving him and his 10 girls some watermelon and he came after me again. He would not back off no matter how hard I smacked him with my foot. I was trying to get to the door to get out and he was determined to not let me go anywhere. Quite frankly it frightened me a bit because he was NOT backing down. My son heard me yelling and came in with a broom and smacked him a couple good ones.
My question is this...could the color I was wearing either time have set him off? I was wearing a bright pink shirt. We had had no interaction, I did not go after any of the girls, pretty much had just ignored them while I finished what I was doing in there. I am really not liking this turn of events and I am nervous now about letting either of my grandsons go in there. These chickens are treated extremely well, no one ever teases them or abuses them. I am just very puzzled.

This is 'where romance hits reality' in chicken keeping! Many of us have started with idiot attack roosters, and we learn about what really matters. We also learn to see unacceptable behaviors as they develop, and can act much sooner next time.
It's great to have a nice rooster in the flock, and that includes one who spends his time NOT stalking and attacking the humans in his life.
Small children are difficult around birds in general, it's not good to have running around, chasing, and screaming, all 'normal' child activities. Managing the little people is also very important...
All the best for you and your flock. Consider raising some chicks again, and raise a good cockerel next time. If you were near Lansing, we happen to have one.
Mary

Bout like a young man I called the grandson I never had.The young man a loose cannon.Took what money I had in the coffee can left
This past wensday night.He got mad cause I wouldn't lend him money to buy a truck.He been messing with my phone past couple days.I told him I was going to buy some fowl and that's what I going to do with the money.Sometimes you just can't help some things.Cheers

Here recently twice when I have gone into our chickens run I have had our rooster come at me. The first time I could tell he was going to fly up at me and I deflected him with my foot. He came right back at me and I booted him good and he backed down.
Today I went into the run after giving him and his 10 girls some watermelon and he came after me again. He would not back off no matter how hard I smacked him with my foot. I was trying to get to the door to get out and he was determined to not let me go anywhere. Quite frankly it frightened me a bit because he was NOT backing down. My son heard me yelling and came in with a broom and smacked him a couple good ones.
My question is this...could the color I was wearing either time have set him off? I was wearing a bright pink shirt. We had had no interaction, I did not go after any of the girls, pretty much had just ignored them while I finished what I was doing in there. I am really not liking this turn of events and I am nervous now about letting either of my grandsons go in there. These chickens are treated extremely well, no one ever teases them or abuses them. I am just very puzzled.
I have the exact same problem. Sometimes hormones just set them off like that. But definitely make sure to look behind you and always know where he is, roosters love sneak attacks when they think you aren't watching. If he becomes a danger to everyone in the yard/he gets worse, the best option will probably be to soup him

Back
Top Bottom