Rooster with broken dangling spur

Fluster Cluck Acres

Crowing
Premium Feather Member
Mar 26, 2020
Frederick, MD
Hi all,
I went out to tuck in the chickens and found blood all over the coop. Turns out my beautiful 10 month old BCM roo ripped his spur most of the way off.

I brought him and gave him in a dog crate in a dark room. I plan to clean (I saw a post that suggested chlorhexadine) and then I guess I need to figure out how to cut the remainder of the spur off.

Once I’ve removed the remaining piece of spur, does it need to be bandaged? Or can I just keep an eye on it and clean it a couple times a day?

He’s in a small flock with only 3 ladies, so I plan to return him to the flock (tonight after cleaning or in the morning depending on how it looks).

Anything else I should do, or anyone who’s dealt with this before want to share any suggestions? Thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_5137.jpeg
    IMG_5137.jpeg
    414.9 KB · Views: 45
  • IMG_5139.jpeg
    IMG_5139.jpeg
    363.1 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_5141.jpeg
    IMG_5141.jpeg
    337.5 KB · Views: 10
I had a bantam rooster who lost both of his spurs. I didn't really do anything for him and I didn't separate him either. His spurs wasn't as bad as your rooster's, though. I suggest cleaning that up the best you can. If his coop and run is clean, I wouldn't worry too much about bandaging it, just make sure he's not getting it dirty and possibly clean it 1-2 times a day with a saline rinse.

I had a bantam rooster who lost both of his spurs. I didn't really do anything for him and I didn't separate him either. His spurs wasn't as bad as your rooster's, though. I suggest cleaning that up the best you can. If his coop and run is clean, I wouldn't worry too much about bandaging it, just make sure he's not getting it dirty and possibly clean it 1-2 times a day with a saline rinse.
Thanks for your reply. Did your little guy grow his spurs back?

It seems like most of the info I’ve found about broken spurs includes them breaking entirely off. My guy’s spur appears to be broken off, jagged, in the middle. I’ll be able to tell better once I get him cleaned up. Prepping the “hospital” now.

Thanks for your reply. Did your little guy grow his spurs back?

It seems like most of the info I’ve found about broken spurs includes them breaking entirely off. My guy’s spur appears to be broken off, jagged, in the middle. I’ll be able to tell better once I get him cleaned up. Prepping the “hospital” now.
No, they didn't.

With my bantam, they broke completely off. On the first on, it seemed like an instant break off, but on the second one, it started working it's way off for a few days before.

Do not remove anything else. His spur is off, and the soft tissue beneath it is exposed. It will stop bleeding and be fine, eventually, so I would not clean it with anything since it will be painful. Edited to say it is dangling, and it may need to be helped the rest of the way off. Then leave it alone.

I would not clean it with anything since it will be painful.
I worried about that- cleaning to being very painful. But it’s pretty bloody so I think I’m going to have to clean it somewhat to see what’s going on. I could skip the antiseptic and just squirt with saline. That might be less painful.

I’m waiting for Hubs to get home to assist before I do anything else. He’s a very good rooster, but really strong, so I want an extra pair of hands before I do anything else.

You also could just leave the spur dangling. It is pretty small, and it probably will come off in time or you can take it off in a few days when he is in less pain. I would leave him put up in a crate with food and water for the night and possibly tomorrow.

You also could just leave the spur dangling. It is pretty small, and it probably will come off in time or you can take it off in a few days when he is in less pain. I would leave him put up in a crate with food and water for the night and possibly tomorrow.
We ended up spraying it with saline and vetrycyn, and putting him back in the crate to reassess tomorrow. The piece that is dangling is attached more firmly than I’d expected, so I need to give a little thought to how to best take it off.

I was pleased to see it hadn't bled any further since I’d put him in the crate. I also discovered that Hubs is nervous to hold roosters, so we need to practice the towel method so we’re better prepared to restrain him.

Back
Top Bottom