Rooster with comb issues. Pox? Pecks? Fungus?

fustercluck1

Chirping
7 Years
Oct 5, 2015
Poor Frank. He's a 2 year old rooster, great health with normal stud-muffin behaviors - with some new comb issues. Upon further inspection, he has some bright yellow spots along with some white and black crusty looking spots that make me think fungus or pox.

No other hens (we have 9) experiencing similar issues.

I don't think it's pecking injuries - the ladies don't fight him. Any ideas? We are wondering if we should try anti-fungal remedies first, since there isn't much you can do for pox aside from isolation and that could get pretty dramatic. He's a good and dedicated boy.

Thoughts, remedy suggestions and vodka drink recipes welcomed (for me, not Frank).
20220524_190407.jpg
20220524_190413.jpg
20220524_190441.jpg
20220524_190438.jpg

I don’t see anything that looks like fowl pox. Maybe he has injured it or they have pecked him when you were not looking. He does appear to have a coloboma (keyhole pupil) in his right eye. That can be a birth defect that is nothing serious.

someone def pecked his comb and held on. It's an injury. Some Vet RX twice a day for a few days shoudl help heal. Keep watch to see who the culprit is. best to have a quarantine area for all flocks where sick or injured can be kept apart.

This is some form of fungus. Our Ameracauna had it just like that. Very hard and calcium-like. They don't come off with tweezers of by scraping. I used lotramin twice a day for a week and they were gone. Coconut oil after that for a few days. right as rain

Back
Top Bottom