Rooster with complex double bumblefoot

If you go to the vet they can administer a local anaesthetic, debride the wound, stitch it up and give pain medication and antibiotics. But you will still need to keep the healing wounds clean and protected. In my experience toe wounds heal faster than footpad wounds so might be worth a shot? Maybe you can ask your vet for an estimate on costs.

I actually am considering culling this guy. I hate to, and I will continue treating him for a while longer, but idk. His right foot with the bad toe that never posed much of a problem for him, seems like it was getting better..the swelling on the toe is actually diminished...but now it has moved to the foot pad and now he has a red streak running up his leg from the toe and I am pretty sure that is blood poisoning or severe infection. His left foot is very bad. Very swollen and sore. He is still in good spirits and actually crows sometimes, but I don't want him to suffer. He is a huge rooster..the biggest we've ever had...I think healing will be a challenge for him.

If you go to the vet they can administer a local anaesthetic, debride the wound, stitch it up and give pain medication and antibiotics. But you will still need to keep the healing wounds clean and protected. In my experience toe wounds heal faster than footpad wounds so might be worth a shot? Maybe you can ask your vet for an estimate on costs.
Thank you, I think I may have to go that route. But even if we go that route, I would probably have to rehome him, another challenge, because he otherwise will probably go down the same road again.

If the infection is spreading like that then a vet is probably your best option.

Another member came up with a trick for soaking bumblefoot that might be worth a try: https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/bumble-foot-soaking-trick.1597479/

What makes you say he’ll go down the same road? Like if you rehomed him, he’d get bumblefoot again somewhere else?

I’m sorry things have escalated. He sounds like a sweet boy. I hope there’s a way for him to recover and for you to keep him. Do you have anyone in your life who could help you with this?

He would go down the same road most likely because
he is free range and our footing is not great. Its common for bumblefoot to recur. He is actually doing better the past couple of days...no more red streaks and inflammation is less. But he has a long way to go.

If the infection is spreading like that then a vet is probably your best option.

Another member came up with a trick for soaking bumblefoot that might be worth a try: https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/bumble-foot-soaking-trick.1597479/

What makes you say he’ll go down the same road? Like if you rehomed him, he’d get bumblefoot again somewhere else?

I’m sorry things have escalated. He sounds like a sweet boy. I hope there’s a way for him to recover and for you to keep him. Do you have anyone in your life who could help you with this?
Thank you, I may try that.

From experience:

If you have more than one rooster in your flock, avoid removing the rooster. Even for a vet visit. The fights for reintroduction were brutal.

I treat my birds after they go to bed. Much easier to catch.

Have your station ready. Table, bandages/vet wrap pre-cut, Neosporin, pads/goze, tweezers, scissors, antibacterial spray...everything ready and within reach.

Have a large towel laid out.

Best if someone helps you.

When I have to treat feet by myself, I place the rooster on the towel but keep it close to my body. That way one wing is trapped between us. I lean over and once his side pined to the table, I quickly pull the towel over him. I then try to wedge him under my arm and next to my side. Think elbow on the table and him in the triangle space of table, arm and your side.

I can usually angle the pinning hand to hold a foot and use the other to clean and treat the foot.

When I soak feet, I usually do it in the small half bath.

My boys, I have 5, are pretty cooperative. Sometimes I have to hold them in place in the sink until they relax. I can get them to chill in the sink for 15-20 minutes. The soak helps soften and pre-clean the feet.

I try to remove scab and use tweezers to find the kernel.

Vet wrap:
I like to use the 2 inch wide ones. Depending on size of bird I cut 3 4 to 6 inch long strips. Two of the strip I fold in half. This doubles them. One goes between the middle and outside toe across the pad and behind the back toe. The extra length goes next to the shank. I place the other one between the other open toes. This makes an x. I then use the wide strip to secure the ends around the shank.

The hand that holds the foot: I usually have the shank between my middle and ring figure. I use my index finger to spread open toes. Thumb to hold medical and bandage in place.

I had a rooster with a gruesome foot - it was the size of a blinkin tennis ball. So I softened it in Epsom salts warm water, then I cut it open. On the top and bottom. The stuff was rock hard. We scooped most of it out with a knife. There was a few pussy bits and cheesy lumps too. Then blood started spurting everywhere. Packed in cayenne, golden seal, colloidal silver and more cayenne. Bandaged it tightly and he never looked back. Tiny limp, that was it. Boy did I love that rooster. I was so sad when he passed. He was a huge, gentle giant called Prince but I nicknamed him Dinosaur. He was one tough cookie.

Back
Top Bottom