Rooster with curled toe paralysis?

mikayj

In the Brooder
Jul 22, 2020
Hi everyone! We have a bantam rooster that just started walking funny a couple of days ago. One of his feet now has curled toes, therefore he is walking on his ankle. He gets around ok, it doesn't seem to be getting worse (yet), and he's able to use both of his wings. He shares a coop with 4 bantam ladies and has been eating what they eat - layer crumbles. He's about 4 or 5 months old and we've had him for 7 weeks. Other than his foot, he acts fine. He's crowing, eating, drinking, scratching around, etc. I gave him Rooster Booster 2 days ago and 1/4 of a vitamin B complex pill yesterday. My question is, is there anything else I can do? Should I splint his foot so that it's flat, in it's normal anatomical position? Thanks!

Last edited:
I think splinting the foot might be more uncomfortable for him, but you could try and see if it helps him get around. Unfortunately, since he presented with lameness that progressed to curly toes, it is probably Marek's. :( Maybe try vitamin therapy to a couple of weeks and reevaluate then.

I think splinting the foot might be more uncomfortable for him, but you could try and see if it helps him get around. Unfortunately, since he presented with lameness that progressed to curly toes, it is probably Marek's. :( Maybe try vitamin therapy to a couple of weeks and reevaluate then.
He was absolutely fine the day before - that night when I locked him up I noticed he was walking on his curled toes when he jumped down from the roost but it hasn't progressed to more than that. He's still in with the other birds (they've already been exposed if it is Mareks), but we'll cull if there's no improvement.

I have no input re: his foot but have read that roosters shoukd not have layer feed because it damages their kidneys. They require kess calcium. Best of luck w your little gentleman💗

Back
Top Bottom