Rooster with head injuries

cluckymclucker

In the Brooder
5 Years
Jul 23, 2014
This morning started out normal. We are actually working on a separate pen in our coop for some new hens we are introducing to the flock. We have 3 roos and 3 hens right now. We knew time was against us because they are about 3 months old and the roos just started to get a bit aggressive. We have had one dominant roo, Pepper, since we got them when they were chicks. But now that they're older the other ones are trying to take a run at Pepper. This morning one of the roos jumped Pepper in a dirty fight. We are in the process of getting rid of our other roosters because we knew there would be problems. So now we are making 3 separate pens in the coop: one for the regular flock, one to separate the roos, and the other for the new hens. When I found Pepper, he was cowering by a rock with his head hidden. He actually let me pet him and hold him which isn't normal for any of our chickens since they're a bit skittish by nature. When I inspected his head I noticed a little raw spot. I didn't think anything of it and figured it would heal on its own because it was so tiny, the size of an eraser head. After keeping an eye on him, I've noticed he is completely separated from the rest of the flock which is not normal, and when he stretches his neck he has gashes on either side of his head. He is up and walking and eating, but now I cannot get close enough to see how deep the gashes are. I'm not sure if he is staying away from the rest of the chickens due to a hurt ego or what. One of the hens stuck around for a little bit after the fight but now she is with the rest. I know I can clean his wounds with peroxide and what not, but is there anything else I could be doing that I'm missing? Should we keep him in a separate spot from the rest? I'd hate to "punish" him for a fight he didn't start. I will say I was impressed though. After he got up from his hidey hole he tried going after the roo that jumped him. Poor little guy was ******! Any suggestions are welcome. Thanks!

What breed(s) involved?

Picture, especially of gashes on side of head. Make no assumptions about cause.

Three months young to be having rooster problems. How big is their coop? What are they being fed?

I'm pretty confident in the cause of the injuries because we watched it happen. As far as breed, they are either Ameraucana's or EE's. We don't know for sure because they came from TS. He won't let me get close enough to take pictures. They are free range so aside from standard feed, they get black sunflower seeds, and whatever they find around their territory. Their coop, for only 6 chickens is quite spacious. At least 10x10. They are outside nearly all day, and have open access to their coop, water and an endless supply of food either in or out of the coop.

Catch him off the roost tonight and get a picture then.

Age still young for serious fights. My games can do similar but it comes in spurts lasting less than a day. Once pecking order worked out fighting stops for weeks if not longer untill they are pushing 8 months old, much older that you are dealing with.

This is the first serious fight there has been with them. And the motivation behind it could have been a pecking order disturbance. Usually Pepper will just chase them off when they try to mess with him or his food. But they caught him off guard today. We have someone picking up our other two roosters later today so I'm hoping with less roosters, and more hens we can remedy the situation in time. Do you find that after your games get into a fight, one of them is standoffish?

When fights are within a brood which is all I allow, cockerels regroup by end of day. Fights with them so intense / drawn out the combatants are unable to get to roost on the first night after fight. Even though my birds are much more physically capable than EE's, victory is never decided by someone making a sneak attack. Rapid damage as you describe makes me think something else is at play.

Back
Top Bottom