Polish Rooster head injury, Help!

Helyun

In the Brooder
May 31, 2020
It's been a week now and he's not any better. He was pecked in the head by a hen. Now he doesn't stand, crow or move around. When he does move he has to use his wings and head to help. He only eats or drinks while I hold him. Is it time to let him go or is there any chance he could heal?

It's been a week now and he's not any better. He was pecked in the head by a hen. Now he doesn't stand, crow or move around. When he does move he has to use his wings and head to help. He only eats or drinks while I hold him. Is it time to let him go or is there any chance he could heal?
Do you have photos of him?

How old is he?

IF you have not given vitamin therapy, then I'd try that to see if he improves. Give 400IU Vitamin E and 1/4 tablet B-Complex daily along with egg for the uptake of E.

Does he have wounds/broken skin to the head/did you see the hen injure him?

How old is he?

IF you have not given vitamin therapy, then I'd try that to see if he improves. Give 400IU Vitamin E and 1/4 tablet B-Complex daily along with egg for the uptake of E.

How old is he?

No wounds, he had only been crowing for 3 weeks. I got him from a friend. I've been feeding him egg everyday. As for meds, are you saying it's human meds or do I need to buy poultry specific meds?

Was he pecked over and over? Is there a chance he was showing some odd signs of an illness, which caused a chicken to attack him? I would give him some more time, but if you don’t see much improvement, it might be better for him to end his suffering. Are you feeding and watering him every couple of hours? I would also try to get him up, standing or walking, and you can make a sling for that with a reusable grocery bag. The vitamins Wyorp Rock recommended would be good to try if affordable. I would get generic brands at WalMart.

No wounds, he had only been crowing for 3 weeks. I got him from a friend. I've been feeding him egg everyday. As for meds, are you saying it's human meds or do I need to buy poultry specific meds?
I'd feed him Chick Starter and give him vitamin therapy along with egg.

You can find Vitamin E and B-Complex in the vitamin aisle at stores like Walmart, CVS, etc.

Was he pecked over and over? Is there a chance he was showing some odd signs of an illness, which caused a chicken to attack him? I would give him some more time, but if you don’t see much improvement, it might be better for him to end his suffering. Are you feeding and watering him every couple of hours? I would also try to get him up, standing or walking, and you can make a sling for that with a reusable grocery bag. The vitamins Wyorp Rock recommended would be good to try if affordable. I would get generic brands at WalMart.
He was not repeatedly pecked. My adult son saw it happen. I've been working with him. He just sits. I exercise his legs. The only movements that are normal are his eating, drinking and flapping wings when he normally would. Money isn't an issue. I'll get him whatever he needs.

Have you ever seen Mareks disease before? Do you know if he was vaccinated for it? They can exhibit symptoms of loss of balance, lameness, drooping wings, among other possible symptoms. Sometimes they can get into some moldy food or a toxin in the environment, and symptoms could be similar. If a chicken sees some other one acting off, they may attack it and try to kill it. Let us know how he gets along.

Have you ever seen Mareks disease before? Do you know if he was vaccinated for it? They can exhibit symptoms of loss of balance, lameness, drooping wings, among other possible symptoms. Sometimes they can get into some moldy food or a toxin in the environment, and symptoms could be similar. If a chicken sees some other one acting off, they may attack it and try to kill it. Let us know how he gets along.
It's Def a head injury. A peck to the head. My heart is broken. He's the best rooster we've ever had.

Back
Top Bottom