Rooster with hen durring winter?

brettsgirl78

In the Brooder
Jul 14, 2015
Richmond
So once winter comes and the hens have less time outside is it OK to leave the rooster in with the hens or should we separate them? I figure in the coop the hens can't get away as easily from being mounted all the time?

I'm planning to put aprons on my girls to protect them in the winter. I also figure it can't hurt keeping them warm.

As sourland said, they hardly mate during the winter, I would not put aprons on them, it will not keep them warm, to the contrary, they will not allow your hens to regulate their own heat, and can encourage mites, if your hens are bareback at the moment they should either molt or regrow the feathers on the back before winter, most chickens do not need help staying warm, only a proper environment.

Really? I'm worried because I only have 3 hens and one rooster right now and most people recommend at least 6 to one roo. Would you never recommend aprons? Because that would save me a lot of work.

Aprons are usually used during the mating season, spring through fall, but even then mites can thrive underneath them, I personally have never used them, are your hens being damaged by your rooster, a few of my hens are bareback but I see the feathers beginning to grow in, as far as hen to rooster ratio, it can depend on the rooster. I would only use them if your hens are being ripped open, but then I would get rid of my rooster if he's doing that.

Last edited:
The roosters I have had have definitely mated during winter, maybe not as much - but still, enabling me to hatch eggs in January.

Agrees, aprons/sweaters can interfere with the way feathers fluff to hold their body heat in.

I have had a couple hens barebacked over the winters, didn't really seem to bother them much.

I routinely keep "rooster" with hens over winter. Mating occurs but reduced when temperatures low. I even employ a 1 to 1 sex ratio with hens in perfect feather by spring. Feather loss on back is also a function of the hens nutritional status as well as the relative size of the "rooster". Big rooster relative to hens can be problematic as can larger breeds in general. Some "roosters" more randy than others which can be a function of breed. Play by ear and be prepared to remove "rooster" if he is overly invested in covering hens.

Well I'm glad I brought up the aprons then. It sounds like I won't need them. They are fine right now and I guess I assumed they'd mate more in winter not less. Awesome. Thanks for the help!

Sounds like you're planning on confining the birds to the coop in winter? I'd advise against that, give them continued access to the run even in sub zero temps. You'll be amazed how often they'll prefer to be outside even in bad weather.

Back
Top Bottom