Rooster With Leg Tremors

Pics

Mimi13

fuhgettaboutit
6 Years
Jan 6, 2018
Centre, AL
About a month ago I noticed my 22 month old rooster’s leg trembling, just one leg. It didn’t happen much and it was hard to find it happening again. Then the tremors became a little more frequent, but only when he was standing still with his foot on the ground. Fast forward a month, and I have noticed the tremors happening even when he walks.

It didn’t seem to bother him as he was still able to walk, run, breed, roost, etc. But now that it is happening all the time, it has to bother him. At first just his leg was tremoring, but now I can see it in his body too.

I’m afraid to find out what is wrong, but I need to know. Can anyone help me identify what is wrong? Thank you in advance.

You may have to zoom in to see what I’m talking about on both videos.
This video was taken this past Tuesday.

This video was taken today.

I’m not seeing much that is wrong except possibly walking a little gingerly on his left leg, but it may just be the video. One of my dogs has trembling back legs at times, and I haven’t been able to find out what is wrong. I would probably continue to watch him for any other symptoms.

I’m not seeing much that is wrong except possibly walking a little gingerly on his left leg, but it may just be the video. One of my dogs has trembling back legs at times, and I haven’t been able to find out what is wrong. I would probably continue to watch him for any other symptoms.
Yes, I believe it is the video. I wish it was clearer. I will continue to watch him. Thank you.

About a month ago I noticed my 22 month old rooster’s leg trembling, just one leg. It didn’t happen much and it was hard to find it happening again. Then the tremors became a little more frequent, but only when he was standing still with his foot on the ground. Fast forward a month, and I have noticed the tremors happening even when he walks.

It didn’t seem to bother him as he was still able to walk, run, breed, roost, etc. But now that it is happening all the time, it has to bother him. At first just his leg was tremoring, but now I can see it in his body too.

I’m afraid to find out what is wrong, but I need to know. Can anyone help me identify what is wrong? Thank you in advance.

You may have to zoom in to see what I’m talking about on both videos.
This video was taken this past Tuesday.

This video was taken today.
How is your roo doing? I see the trembling in the first video. My feather footed roo does something similar but I’m almost sure it’s leg mites. I have been treating him but he still has a slight tremor in his right foot/leg. Have you found out any more insight?

How is your roo doing? I see the trembling in the first video. My feather footed roo does something similar but I’m almost sure it’s leg mites. I have been treating him but he still has a slight tremor in his right foot/leg. Have you found out any more insight?
Oh gracious, I’m sorry to hear your roo is having troubles too.

My Rusty Roo has not gotten any better, as a matter of fact, his leg tremors are worse. Worse as in more often, stronger, and lasting longer. I know something is wrong with him and I wish I knew what it was so I could help him. I swear, the way his leg does it reminds me of Parkinson’s in a person. Sadly to say, a vet trip is not an option right now.

The other day I was just standing around with the chickens and I heard a strange sound. I turned around and it was poor Rusty Roo’s just going to town. What I was hearing were his feathers making a noise caused by the shaking. The noise reminded me of a taffeta prom dress swishing back and forth. Weird analogy, I know.

I will try to get another video of his poor little leg. I have never seen any evidence of leg mites in any of my birds, but I will check him again really good.

Thank you for bringing this subject back to life.

I just had to post this video of Rusty, mainly due to my grandson’s many questions. He wanted to know if I was going to send the video to anyone, then proceeded to ask, “My daddy? Dr. Berry?” Dr. Berry is one of our vets. My little sidekick is so flipping smart.

When I finally answered I was going to put it on BYC, his little voice repeating BYC is just precious. I apologize for the music playing.

Another video made the end of May showing the worsening of Rusty’s leg tremor. The tremor used to only happen every once in a while and only while he was standing still. It would stop as soon as he would start walking. Now, his leg tremors ever so slightly even when he walks.

https://youtube.com/shorts/glgjoP5MBug

I’m not sure why this video won’t post properly. I deleted the post and tried again. Sorry.

I haven't seen that earlier, but have you tried to give Rusty some additional Vitamin B?
As you know i have no experience with xickens (yet!), but leg problems in ducks, as well as neurological issues are often caused by Vitamin B deficiency. Now i don't know if you can "insert" a vitamin B complex pill from CVS into a rooster without loosing fingers, but that was what we did with Limpy Drake three years ago: Open Bill, Insert Coin, Close Bill, offer water.

I haven't seen that earlier, but have you tried to give Rusty some additional Vitamin B?
As you know i have no experience with xickens (yet!), but leg problems in ducks, as well as neurological issues are often caused by Vitamin B deficiency. Now i don't know if you can "insert" a vitamin B complex pill from CVS into a rooster without loosing fingers, but that was what we did with Limpy Drake three years ago: Open Bill, Insert Coin, Close Bill, offer water.
Shoot fire, don’t know how I missed this post until now, but you may have a point. It definitely couldn’t hurt. Now to find some ‘small’ vitamin B pills.

Back
Top Bottom