Rooster With Leg Tremors

I have my forgetful-day today:
You are continuing to give the Vitamins to Rusty, are you?
I would do that for at least one week.
And then how could that have happen? - Is he not eating right? Is he avoiding the stuff that would be healthy for him? Or does he just need some extra?

312169A6-8A83-422F-9C9D-80FFC75BF466.jpeg

I have my forgetful-day today:
You are continuing to give the Vitamins to Rusty, are you?
I would do that for at least one week.
And then how could that have happen? - Is he not eating right? Is he avoiding the stuff that would be healthy for him? Or does he just need some extra?
Yes, I plan to continue giving them to him, but you brought up a good question. For whatever reason, I thought he would need to stay on these vitamins forever, but maybe not. :idunno What do y’all suggest? I don’t really think one week is enough for some reason. And as far as WHY this has developed, I don’t know. The tremor started very slowly, shaking occasionally and progressed to a constant shaking. He is eating the proper food so I’m guessing he needs extra for some reason.

I am so thankful that I can see a marked difference in his shaking. I only wish I had known about this sooner. I know Rusty has been so uncomfortable with that dang tremor.

Never fall madly in love with a rooster because the minute you do something horrible happens. Keep an arms length, for everyone's sake! (I don't take this advice, either. I love them all.)

Good catch on the E and B vitamins, here in the Midwest we throw Selenium into that mix as well for neurological symptoms.
I love that big old boy. He is a very sweet bird and loves being loved on.

Yes, I plan to continue giving them to him, but you brought up a good question. For whatever reason, I thought he would need to stay on these vitamins forever, but maybe not. :idunno What do y’all suggest? I don’t really think one week is enough for some reason. And as far as WHY this has developed, I don’t know. The tremor started very slowly, shaking occasionally and progressed to a constant shaking. He is eating the proper food so I’m guessing he needs extra for some reason.

I am so thankful that I can see a marked difference in his shaking. I only wish I had known about this sooner. I know Rusty has been so uncomfortable with that dang tremor.
Nah, you don't want to give the vitamins forever.
I would go 2 weeks and see how he does. If he's not there yet, give it another week.
B Vitamins are water soluble so long term they probably wouldn't hurt him
The Vitamin E is fat soluble and stored in the body. A few weeks would not lead to overdose or toxicity.
Your goal would be to at some point start tapering off the vitamin therapy and see if he stabilizes. You can always start again if he worsens or you could even find a balance somewhere like giving him vitamins for 2 days each week. You may have to tweak it.

He might bee too good for this world, like my Limpy: He leaves all the good stuff for the girls and only eats a cat-kibble here and there, i literally have to stuff it in his bill, otherwise he calls in the girls instead of eating it himself.

Nah, you don't want to give the vitamins forever.
I would go 2 weeks and see how he does. If he's not there yet, give it another week.
B Vitamins are water soluble so long term they probably wouldn't hurt him
The Vitamin E is fat soluble and stored in the body. A few weeks would not lead to overdose or toxicity.
Your goal would be to at some point start tapering off the vitamin therapy and see if he stabilizes. You can always start again if he worsens or you could even find a balance somewhere like giving him vitamins for 2 days each week. You may have to tweak it.
Thank you for all the information you’ve given me. I truly am utterly amazed at his rebound. Like Hillbilly asked earlier, what do you think could have been the cause of this? He was a little over 20 months old when I noticed it and he ate the Purina Flock Raiser.

@Panacake Farms, I owe you a huge thank you for bringing this thread back to life. Stupidly, I had just given up and chalked his tremor up to being the end of him! I can’t thank you enough!!!!!!!

9288480C-00C4-4A51-985D-15EF9797F7D5.gif

PS: I know these don’t really look like chickens, but they’re supposed to be! They look more like weird, hairy little humans, but I thought it was cute nonetheless! :lau

Back
Top Bottom