Rooster with purple tipped comb

mrstiffanymayer

In the Brooder
10 Years
Jul 21, 2009
Bakersfield California
My rooster Andy is 1.5 years old Black Astralorp. The last couple of days I have noticed that the last 2 points on his comb are kinda bluish purple.

Anyone know what might be wrong?

He is eating, drinking as normal. Still crowing, running/walking around like normal. All seems normal except the color on the tips of his comb.

Thanks!

It is definitely not cold here. Only gets to about 45 deg F at night. Doesn't look like blood, I tried massaging it and it appeared to go away for a bit. It is also predominant on one side of the comb.

It is not there always, kind of like it comes and goes.

A picture would be worth a thousand words on this one.. There are so many things that can cause this.. BUT, I will be optimistic on it since we don't have pics to go on... If you notice it once in a while and it otherwise goes back to normal, I've noticed this on my roos too.. My babies are healthy but I have noticed that when my primary roo gets upset or overly excited, the back tips of his comb turn a darker color making them look like they have a hint of purple.. So, keep an eye on him, research a few problems it may be (i.e. frostbite, resp probs, etc.) and watch him for any other signs.. But, if he otherwise seems healthy and it's not an all the time problem, I wouldn't worry too much... just mho...

Goddess
jumpy.gif

Back
Top Bottom