Rooster with purplish comb, listless

sashacat

Songster
10 Years
Sep 7, 2011
My year old Ameraucana Rooster (white, possibly albino) has a purple/gray comb and wattles, seems to move very slowly, has a droopy tail, looks over all droopy, sits down often. He's been this way for about a week. Weight doesn't seem to have changed. He does seem to be eating and drinking. He is low man in the flock, even with the hens. He's just not right. I kept him on purpose cause he was mild tempered and I liked his color, but now I'm wondering if the mild temper meant he was weaker to start.
I've added vitamins to the water, occaisionally garlic and DE, but otherwise haven't used any meds. We just lost a hen from the same pen to some mysterious something, just found her dead in the morning, no apparent symptoms before that. Is there something weird going on? Or is this the chickens die from spite thing? DO I need to quarantine him or is it too late for that?

Any ideas appreciated.

Were his comb and wattles always off-colour, and how long have you had him for? I would quarantine him just encase it isn't too late.
You may need to contact a vet. He could have avian influenca.
Keep an eye out for any other chickens that seem to have any symptoms and move them to quarantine imediately.

Good luck,
Tanith.

You know, I think his comb and wattles were much redder. Actually, he seems a bit perkier now, tho still off color. We put him alone in a small chicken tractor. He eats and drinks, I've treated him for mites, which were nasty, and added vitamins to his water. He seemed to hold his tail up a bit today. Could it really just be he was so hen-pecked he was depressed? Any how, thanks for looking. any other thoughts are welcome, I hate to lose him.

Forgot to include that he was one of our own hatches last spring, so he's always been on our place.

So much for quick recovery. I just found the poor thing feet up, stiff as a board in the cage. No clue. Any ideas?

Now that's a possibility....hmm, never thought about a heart problem. Thanks, probably never know for sure!

I had an issue with one of my turkeys, the only thing I could find with the symptoms, was blue comb. Can get over it, but takes 2 weeks. Mortality is as high as 50%. If you look it up look under turkey diseases. It can happen to turkeys and chickens. I gave the rest of my nutra-drench.

Back
Top Bottom