Rooster with swollen eye - Help please!

norcocowgirl

Hatching
8 Years
May 3, 2011
I have a rooster that has a very large growth or infection under his left eye. The eye is swollen shut and there is a roundish lump about 1 inch under the eye. This just came up in the last day or so. Would like some suggestions as to how to treat.

Last edited:
Quote:
Could it be a sting by a wasp or bee? Could your roo have scratched himself and got the area infected? Try soaking it with a warm wash cloth and see if it comes to a head. You can snuggly wrap your rooster in a towel and lay him down sideways and then soak the area in question. You might have to soak several times a day for a few days to get it come to a head so that it could be drained. Is there any wheezing or sneezing? Coughing or runny nose? Gurgling noises? If there is...it would be a respiratory problem and not an insect sting nor injury.

Thanks, I just noticed it this morning, he is free to roam all over the property, about an acre. It could be a bee sting, he is not wheezing, there is not any discharge from it. Should I give him any antibiotics?

Hi, my chook has a similar problem, she has 2 swollen lumps near front of her eye. She is otherwise a happy chook, no other changes in her behaviour, I've washed her eye with saline. The lumps seem firm, took 2 mths to get this large. Anyone got a suggestion as to what it might be? I would like to post a pic but not sure how to do it :-/

Back
Top Bottom