Rooster with swollen eye

Judyk6791

Hatching
Jul 7, 2020
I have a rooster with one eye that is very swollen. He has a lot of mucus too. I’ve been giving him a lot of garlic and oregano along with apple cider vinegar but it’s been about 6 days and it hasn’t cleared up. He is less mucusy but his eye is still swollen. He eats and crows and acts totally normal.
i was told I could give him human antibiotics so I mixed 1 spray of my sinus antibiotics in with some oatmeal and fed it to him this morning. Now I’m worried I shouldn’t have done it. Will I now have to throw out the eggs since the rooster has mated with the hens?So new to this and worried I’m going to hurt my chickens.

Attachments

• F1BA082E-5E65-4B37-AD37-82EF13C0CB7D.jpeg
    F1BA082E-5E65-4B37-AD37-82EF13C0CB7D.jpeg
    628.7 KB · Views: 30
  • 022BAC73-CB0E-4DEB-B496-E53964964ABF.jpeg
    022BAC73-CB0E-4DEB-B496-E53964964ABF.jpeg
    591.8 KB · Views: 10
My rooster has a similar thing by his eye. Been treating him with ACV and garlic but nothing seems to help. Not sure what to do with him. It’s getting bigger. View attachment 2243830View attachment 2243828
@Judyk6791 Since you were asking this on someone else's thread, I'm assuming that your rooster's eyes are not getting any better?

You mention you have been treating with ACV and Garlic with poor results.
Have you tried cleaning out his eyes with saline - pressing out the pus and applying an eye ointment 2-3 times a day?

If you can post some current photos of what he looks like now, that would be good.

I agree with @coach723 with the symptoms you describe he may have Mycoplasma, but there are other respiratory diseases that can look similar, so getting testing, if possible, is a good idea.

Pus in the eyes will not dry up on it's own, it has to be removed.
If you are dealing with Mycoplasma and antibiotic may help with infection - but eyes still have to be cleaned out - antibiotics do not dry up chicken pus.

@Judyk6791 Since you were asking this on someone else's thread, I'm assuming that your rooster's eyes are not getting any better?

Have you tried cleaning out his eyes with saline - pressing out the pus and applying an eye ointment 2-3 times a day?

If you can post some current photos of what he looks like now, that would be good.

I agree with @coach723 with the symptoms you describe he may have Mycoplasma, but there are other respiratory diseases that can look similar, so getting testing, if possible, is a good idea.

If you are dealing with Mycoplasma and antibiotic may help with infection - but eyes still have to be cleaned out - antibiotics do not dry up chicken pus.

Yes you’re right I’ve been working on it for a week now. I’ll get another picture of him today. Thank you for the advice. I’ll definitely try it.

Thanks for the videos it will help a lot. I’ll give this a try today.

Back
Top Bottom