Rooster with Swollen, Leaking Eye

Nov 6, 2020
Midwest US
Hi,

When I fed the chickens this morning I noticed that one of our rooster's eyes was swollen and leaking a clear fluid. The lid was almost all the way shut. The other eye seems to be fine. Does anyone have any idea of what this could be and what I should do? :(

Thank you!

Many times a swollen eye is due to a respiratory disease such as mycoplasma gallisepticum (MG,) or coryza. But it could also be due to something stuck in the eye, a peck or sting around the eye. Do you see any bubbles, foam, or pus in the eye? Is there any sneezing, nasal drainage, or gasping? Pictures may be helpful.

I would get some saline eye wash to flush out the eye 2-3 times a day, and follow that with Terramycin eye ointment, antibiotic drops or plain Neosporin. If other symptoms are seen, an oral antibiotic such as Tylan or Tylosin may be helpful. Can you see a vet?

Thank you very much for your advice! Unfortunately, all the vets around us treat primarily large livestock and don't see many chickens. We did not see any puss, foam, or bubbles, just a clear liquid leaking out of his eye.
We do have saline solution and neosporin. What is your opinion on VetRX?
We will send a picture as soon as possible. We also have a hen that has bubbles off and on in the corner of each eye.

Thanks again!

20220519_125947.jpg

Since you have the other hen who gets a foamy eye sometimes, my guess is that he has the same thing, probably mycoplasma (MG.) It can be common in some backyard flocks, and there is no need to cull. But I would close the flock, and do not rehome or sell birds to keep it under control. I would probably go ahead and order some Tylosin or even enrofloxacin and treat them both (when she has symptoms again. Enrofloxacin 10% dosage is 0.05 ml per pound (0.25 ml or 1/4 ml for a 5 pound chicken given orally twice a day for 5 days. Egg withdrawal is 15 days. Tylosin dosage is 1 tsp per gallon of water for 5 days, but they need to drink plenty of the water. No egg withdrawal with tylosin.

If you notice any pus in the rooster’s eye, it can be pushed out gently. Here is a video:

Back
Top Bottom