Rooster with tumors and scab in hock area

NoProbLlama

In the Brooder
Nov 24, 2017
Rooster is limping. May have injury or frost bite? I have him isolated from other poultry right now. Can I use nitrofurazone on the hock area?

main man leg wound.jpg

Closeup of inside of hock area. I put the furazone yellow salve on it. He is hanging close as he can only limp.

Attachments

• main man closeup wound.jpg
    main man closeup wound.jpg
    736.4 KB · Views: 1
Pictures would be helpful. Have you seen any tumors in your flock or other disease symptoms in your flock?
I posted two pictures. This is my oldest rooster. I only have 3 roosters now and guineas. Most of my hens got "foxed" while free ranging in the daytime. I gave away the few that were left. No one wanted the roosters and I love the sounds they make. <g>

That looks more like an injury than frostbite. It may be common for roosters to challenge and fight each other. The wound appears very deep into the ligaments and possibly expsoing the bone. You can clean a wound with chlorhexidene, and apply plain Neosporin ointment afterward. If a vet is possible, that would be your best bet. It would be helpful to use an antibiotic that treats bone injuries.

That looks more like an injury than frostbite. It may be common for roosters to challenge and fight each other. The wound appears very deep into the ligaments and possibly expsoing the bone. You can clean a wound with chlorhexidene, and apply plain Neosporin ointment afterward. If a vet is possible, that would be your best bet. It would be helpful to use an antibiotic that treats bone injuries.
Has anyone used the yellow fura-zone (nitrofurazone) to help with this kind of injury? I can certainly do the chlorhexidene and neosporin. The male guineas are challenging the roosters more than the roosters fighting. It could be a fight injury from a guinea. Last time I talked to a vet about a rooster, he laughed at me.

Back
Top Bottom