Rooster woes

TJAnonymous

Enabler
Feb 29, 2020
Central Arkansas
This is more of a rant than anything else.

I have two EE roosters who were raised together as chicks. They sleep in the same 8x10 coop and share the 35' x 130' chicken yard & 35+ hens between each other. However, Fabio is the dominant rooster over Casanova. Fabio has certainly enforced his dominance on a regular basis but after a brief squabble, Casanova will usually run away and Fabio lets him. Only a couple of times has Fabio forced Casanova's face in the ground.

Well, today I was walking by the window and saw Fabio chasing Casanova. I watched for a few minutes and it became clear that this was more than the average squabble. Fabio would not let up or let Casanova walk/run away. He was relentless. Poor Cas was panting so hard I was worried he would have a heart attack. I ran out there and turned on the hose, hoping it would make Fabio chill out. No bones...he didn't care about the hose. That's how focused he was. I finally went into the chicken yard with a stick and swatted at him to get him to leave Cas alone. He had Cas pinned against the fence but ran off to the other end of the chicken yard when I came out there to stop the terrorism. I opened the gate and let Cas out into the pasture so he could have some separation between the two of them. (Not to say that Fabio couldn't just jump the fence and resume the fight, but he hasn't so far....)

If I had to choose between the two roosters, I'd definitely choose Fabio to stay. Fabio has never tried to attack me. Cas has only once. I nearly flattened him and he's never done it again. Fabio is also a prettier bird and, being mostly black, can turn out blue chicks. I was HOPING that both birds could live side by side in general peace since they have room to spread out and there's plenty of girls to go around.

Sadly, after today, I'm not sure if that is possible.... :confused:

Would it be doable to leave Cass in free range mode all the time?

That's not likely an option...mostly because Cas is used to going in the coop at night. I think he would be terribly confused if I suddenly stopped letting him go in with the others at night. It would be kinder to simply cull him. I don't know anyone who would take him for rehoming.

I also have a 3rd rooster who is about 5 months younger than Fabio & Cas. He took up with a flock of adopted game hens. They free range all the time and do not go in the coop with my main flock of chickens. They roost in my barn instead. I need to cull that rooster because he has tried to spur me and DH too many times. We've certainly put him in his place so there's a tense "peace" between us now when we are in and around the barn. I've wondered if Cas might try to adopt that flock if I culled that rooster but I doubt it would be a good option. Cas is far too big to mate with those game hens. Also, he has never shown any interest in them whatsoever so I doubt he would now.

I'm just going to have to bite the bullet and cull him.

How about splitting the flock? Means another coop and run or a fence down the middle.

I had a choice like that once. Made my choice, rehomed the other, then chosen roo mysteriously died a month later. Totally heartbroken. So, I am personally a little leery especially when you have two you adore.

I have honestly thought about making a bachelor pen. I mean, I have another juvenile rooster who is 12 weeks old AND I hatched out at least 1, maybe 2, CCLB males a little over a week ago. There's also two other EE chicks that could possibly be males. However, my DH is in the process of building me a 3rd coop right now. If I asked for another one, I think he'd serve me divorce papers instead.... Funny, but not, ya know?

I do know what you mean though.... That's part of the reason why I have hesitated culling him before now. We've had problems with hawks and foxes. I have many chickens, including these two roos, who jump the fence to free range without permission. I liked having both roos around because it was double the lookout.

Last edited:
He we have several roosters at once, but I'm ready to go to an alternate plan any time it's necessary. Cass and Fabio are done living together, and if you have cockerels or roosters who have attacked you, they should be the ones leaving.
I wouldn't turn Cass outside, he needs to be in a coop, or gone another way. Too many miserable night time predator experiences, at least here, to have any birds not in a safe place overnight. Daytime predators are bad enough!
Maybe one of your younger cockerels will get along better with Fabio, or maybe not. Worth trying?
Mary

Back
Top Bottom