Rooster won’t let hens out of coop

kendra1985

Hatching
Jul 13, 2023
We have 4.5 month chickens raised together from chick and ended up with 2 roosters. We recently re-homed one, which happened to be our dominant rooster. We thought the other rooster would be a good fit, but now he’s not letting the hens out of the coop or mounting them right when they come out so they go back in. Is this normal behavior for establishing dominance or will this be an on-going behavior? Now I’m wondering if we kept the wrong rooster.
Edit to add: because he was the submissive rooster, we didn’t see this behavior from him before. So maybe he is just trying to figure things out and going crazy with this new “power and freedom”..

Last edited:
:welcome I'd separate him from the flock until the pullets mature. He's a sex driven teen ager right now. Sometimes they calm down and become a good flock leader. Other times they end up in the soup pot.
We might have to but our hens just started laying. I’m really have regrets on getting rid of the other one. Here I thought he was the aggressive one but seems he was just trying to keep this one in line. I am hoping it’s just his new found power but we locked him in the coop for a little bit so the hens could eat and drink without being attacked.

I don't tolerate roosters being overly aggressive with pullets/hens very well... have wrung a few necks over it through the years.

We might have to but our hens just started laying. I’m really have regrets on getting rid of the other one. Here I thought he was the aggressive one but seems he was just trying to keep this one in line. I am hoping it’s just his new found power but we locked him in the coop for a little bit so the hens could eat and drink without being attacked.
I agree. I am completely woke too. I want this dominant patriarch in the soup and the useless rooster to lay eggs. Its his/she/dem right to do so.... Humans, their projection and their love of playing God Gotta love it.

Back
Top Bottom