Rooster won't let the new pullets out!

HilsingerFarm

In the Brooder
Nov 14, 2019
I have an established flock made up of five hens and one rooster with all of them being 7 months in age. Got the new pullets in March so they are now about 10 weeks old. Transitioned them successfully, they have been living together in the coop although still all real tentative about each other. The rooster will not let the new pullets out of the coop into the Run! Anytime they approach the door to go out he scares them back in. The pullets now have started the habit of going into the run after dark before I come to shut the door for the night since all of the other chickens are up in the roost. Can I break the rooster of this?

You can just let it happens. If you need to speed things up, place him in a dog crate with some shade and water out in the run.
Great, thanks! So this behavior should just run it’s course then? Introducing new chicks into the flock has been a longer process than I had anticipated!

One day in jail might reset his attitude. The girls also need some time to grow their big girl panties. Having a safe place they can run to (think opening to a crate they can fit through but the older ones can't) can help build their confidence.

One day in jail might reset his attitude. The girls also need some time to grow their big girl panties. Having a safe place they can run to (think opening to a crate they can fit through but the older ones can't) can help build their confidence.
:clapThat made me laugh. I also keep thinking the same especially since this new batch of chicks are a full size breed and the others are bantam! They are all about the same size right now even with the 4 month difference. I will try to lock him up, they do have a place to go but since they are as big as the others now I don’t know that I can make a proper escape route
: )

Transitioned them successfully, they have been living together in the coop although still all real tentative about each other. The rooster will not let the new pullets out of the coop into the Run!
How long has this been going on?
How big is your coop and run?
Agrees, put him on a time out.

How long has this been going on?
How big is your coop and run?
Agrees, put him on a time out.
The Run is about 9 x 10 feet......I think it’s only been the past week that the chicks have been brave enough to try and go outside.

Back
Top Bottom