Rooster won't stop crowing

BarrettG

Songster
Mar 15, 2015
S.Florida
I have a beautiful Lavender Amerucana rooster. Out of all my roosters that I have had this one is the most noisy. I tried putting a no crow collar on him but that doesn't help really. Should I just take it off? I have read online and found no answers or solutions. I have only 1 rooster, I keep food and water always available , and the coop clean. I am not allowed to have a rooster in my area. My neighbors have not complained yet but if I can quiet him down in a safe way that would be nice. If I had to get rid of him I would be devastated.

I'm afraid you may end up being devastated. I have only found one way to keep a rooster from crowing, and from the sounds of it that's not an option for you. Some people have had good luck with those No Crow collars, but as you have found they don't always work. I'd recommend that you make sure you are using it correctly first thing. Be aware that they generally don't STOP crowing - they make it more tolerable and quieter. Food, water, and a clean coop are essentials for all chickens but don't have anything to do with crowing.

I'm more concerned with the fact that you know you aren't permitted to have roosters but are adamant that you want to keep yours. Often times people are fighting like cats and dogs to be permitted to keep backyard chickens, jumping through all the legal hoops to make sure they get an ordinance passed that they - and their neighbors - can live with. It only takes one person to flaunt the rules because they don't those rules are "fair" to spoil it for everyone. As hard as it would be to part with your rooster, imagine how much harder it would be if your community decided that chicken keepers don't follow regulations, therefore no one will be allowed to have any chickens.

I'm afraid you may end up being devastated.  I have only found one way to keep a rooster from crowing, and from the sounds of it that's not an option for you.  Some people have had good luck with those No Crow collars, but as you have found they don't always work.  I'd recommend that you make sure you are using it correctly first thing.  Be aware that they generally don't STOP crowing - they make it more tolerable and quieter.  Food, water, and a clean coop are essentials for all chickens but don't have anything to do with crowing.

I'm more concerned with the fact that you know you aren't permitted to have roosters but are adamant that you want to keep yours.  Often times people are fighting like cats and dogs to be permitted to keep backyard chickens, jumping through all the legal hoops to make sure they get an ordinance passed that they - and their neighbors - can live with. It only takes one person to flaunt the rules because they don't those rules are "fair" to spoil it for everyone.  As hard as it would be to part with your rooster, imagine how much harder it would be if your community decided that chicken keepers don't follow regulations, therefore no one will be allowed to have any chickens.

If a neighbor complained to me I will get rid of him. I have had him now for over a month. There are dogs in my neighborhood that bark until 12pm at night so I guess it's like a mutual agreement. Don't call on my rooster and I won't call on your dog's.

But the difference is simple....dogs (noisy or not) are allowed in your area.  Roosters are not.

Very true. To be honest I don't even know if hens are either. I feel it should be allowed everywhere. That's why you scope the neighborhood before you move in right?

I wonder if like painting the coop all white or blue or something would work.
Why on earth would that work? His crowing is his way of showing off to his ladies how big and strong he is. That's it, plain and simple.
Keeping him is honestly put your whole flock at risk. Authorities may decide to not only seize him, but your whole flock. And they won't bother with trying to rehome them, they will euthanize them. Keeping him is putting your flock and everyone else in the neighborhoods' flocks at risk.
Do you really want to be the reason that everyone's chickens are removed?

As to whether or not keeping chickens in your area is even legal, that is why you research your local zoning laws and ordinances before you get your birds. It doesn't matter if others are keeping birds. If it's not legal, it's not legal. And keeping them illegally will not help you change the laws.

We wound up with a rooster also, and have tried the NoCrow and the Cock Collars.

Of the two, the Cock Collars seemed to work a bit better...so far.

Hopefully this will continue.

They are a slightly stretchy Velcro/elasticy material. The key we found, was that it does really need to be snug. More so than you would think. I think the Cock Collars work better because they do stretch, so they may be put on a bit more snugly, but still flex enough for comfort.

http://www.cockcollars.com.au

We are using the size recommended for a Marans on our boy. He does not care to have it put on, but otherwise he seems fine. His crowing is a fair bit more quiet than the girls bawking.

The purple collar is just visible in the pictures.

Good luck.

We wound up with a rooster also, and have tried the NoCrow and the Cock Collars.

Of the two, the Cock Collars seemed to work a bit better...so far.

Hopefully this will continue.

They are a slightly stretchy Velcro/elasticy material. The key we found, was that it does really need to be snug. More so than you would think. I think the Cock Collars work better because they do stretch, so they may be put on a bit more snugly, but still flex enough for comfort.

http://www.cockcollars.com.au

We are using the size recommended for a Marans on our boy. He does not care to have it put on, but otherwise he seems fine. His crowing is a fair bit more quiet than the girls bawking.

The purple collar is just visible in the pictures.

Good luck.

Awesome, I will give it a shot. Thanks for the post!

You should at least check (like one responder said) to see if you are even allowed to have chickens at all. If not, and on top of that you have a rooster, I fear that you will one day wake up and find them all dead from a disgruntled neighbor who (like many people) don't want to be the bad guy and complain, they will just act in secrecy. You really are playing with fire challenging the law in your area. It might not end well for your poor chickens.

Even though our deed restrictions allow chickens and roosters, I cleared it first with my neighbors as to whether having a rooster would be a problem. They said no. But they also started complaining when one chicken kept flying the fence and coming over to eat their birdseed. Seriously? Nope, it was not really a seed issue, I think they are really tired of the rooster but just don't complain. Pretty passive aggressive but also quite typical human behavior.

Back
Top Bottom