Rooster wounded hen

KATNZ

In the Brooder
Jun 12, 2021
Hi

Im a beginner at having chickens and a rooster, but i noticed her not letting him in and then realised she had a massive bloody wound from him pecking at her, i feel for her so i removed her from the coop and shes in her own cage atm to heal butbim not quite sure what to help her with her wound

Can you post some photos?

General care is to clean the wound, then apply triple antibiotic ointment.

Keep her in quiet spot for the time being and make water and food available. See that she's staying hydrated.

How old is the rooster? How many hens do you have?
I have one hen atm and 9ne rooster but shes old and been by herself for awhile hes been here for maybe 3 weeks now and they've only been in the coop together for about a week and she just had this this morning as he was trying to mate but i seen the w wound and put her in her own posie away from him and im definitely getting some today i just wanted to lnow what to help the wound until i do get the antibiotics

Attachments

• IMG_20210613_114238.jpg
    IMG_20210613_114238.jpg
    906.3 KB · Views: 7
Hi
Shes now in her own cage with food and available water so i gonna keep her separate for a while even if i have to get some more hens so she can just do her, ive put betadine on her for now, she a few years old and old Bantam hen and our rooster is Barred Rock Plymouth rooster so they probably wont be compatible companions anyways aye

I think I would cage the rooster and put the hen back in her normal housing.

Keep the wound cleaned a couple of times a day and make sure flies are not getting into it.

You are right. A Barred Plymouth Rock rooster is generally going to be too big a bird for bantam hens. What's the purpose of the rooster?
Consider just keeping hens or if you feel you must have a rooster, then a bantam would be more suitable.

Gilly the Barred rocked rooster needed a new home so i took him in as a friend for the hen as she'd been a lone hen for a few years and the housing was just built for them id perfer in the cage cause its alot warmer up on my deck them out there and easir for me to tend to her wound, im thinking maybe get a pair each of there breeds so they have there own flocks

If she's been alone for a few years, she likely didn't want that kind of company LOL

Pairs can be done, but you will want observe daily for overmating/bullying, etc., and have a plan (spare pens for quick separation) just in case things don't work out.

Luckily there's alot of room on our farm where we can make another pen for her if needed, poor chookchook she will always come first as she was our first and only hen we had at the time

Back
Top Bottom