rooster

MysticCreekFarm

Chirping
7 Years
Dec 2, 2015
Upstate NY
Here's a better picture of my rooster. Any idea on breed?

*update*
I contacted the lady I got him from. She said he is a Barred Rock x Americauna. What does this mean for the chicks he will produce? What color eggs would they lay? I am currently hatching eggs from my Red Sex Links and this rooster.

*update*
I contacted the lady I got him from. She said he is a Barred Rock x Americauna. What does this mean for the chicks he will produce? What color eggs would they lay? I am currently hatching eggs from my Red Sex Links and this rooster.

You will get an interesting assortment of chicks from that cross! About half of them will be green egg layers and the other half will be brown egg layers. Usually, the ones that hatch with a pea comb (like your rooster) will be the colored egg layers and the single combed ones will be the brown egg layers. You will get an assortment of different colored chicks- red, white, and black are all possibilities. There may be other color possibilities depending on what color your rooster's ameraucana/ EE parent was. About half will have barring too.

You will get an interesting assortment of chicks from that cross! About half of them will be green egg layers and the other half will be brown egg layers. Usually, the ones that hatch with a pea comb (like your rooster) will be the colored egg layers and the single combed ones will be the brown egg layers. You will get an assortment of different colored chicks- red, white, and black are all possibilities. There may be other color possibilities depending on what color your rooster's ameraucana/ EE parent was. About half will have barring too.

X2 on StarMeKritten assuming that the Ameraucana/EE parent was in fact an Easter Egger (as is usually the case). However, if it happened to be a true Ameraucana, then all of the female offspring will lay green eggs.

I agree you'll get a wonderful variety of offspring from that cross
smile.png
. you've got some fun genetics to play with....

Half his offspring should be barred, but the barring won't be linked to the sex of the bird at all.

If your sex links carry dominant white, they can turn his blue into white. You could get "ghost barred" birds, where the bird looks white or a light grey, but when you look closely you can see the faint barring.

I agree you could get pretty much any color chick--black, blue, gold, silver, possibly with some interesting markings.

If he's a pure Ameraucana x barred Rock, he has one blue egg gene and one brown egg gene. He'll give one of those to his pullet offspring, and the momma hen will give brown genes. Since blue + brown = green, you'll have roughly half green egg layers and half brown egg layers. the greens can run various shades, I've had quite a variety from mixing those genetics.

He's beautiful, I love blue barred birds. Since my blue egg laying blue sex links didn't pan out, I may just reverse the breeds and go for all blue barred blue egg layers, they're just that pretty.

I agree you'll get a wonderful variety of offspring from that cross
smile.png
. you've got some fun genetics to play with....

Half his offspring should be barred, but the barring won't be linked to the sex of the bird at all.

If your sex links carry dominant white, they can turn his blue into white. You could get "ghost barred" birds, where the bird looks white or a light grey, but when you look closely you can see the faint barring.

I agree you could get pretty much any color chick--black, blue, gold, silver, possibly with some interesting markings.

If he's a pure Ameraucana x barred Rock, he has one blue egg gene and one brown egg gene. He'll give one of those to his pullet offspring, and the momma hen will give brown genes. Since blue + brown = green, you'll have roughly half green egg layers and half brown egg layers. the greens can run various shades, I've had quite a variety from mixing those genetics.

He's beautiful, I love blue barred birds. Since my blue egg laying blue sex links didn't pan out, I may just reverse the breeds and go for all blue barred blue egg layers, they're just that pretty.

My pardon MysticCreekFarm, but I totally misread your post (I need to have my eyes checked). :eek:) I thought you were crossing a Barred Rock and an Ameraucana when I gave my reply, but I see you have a Barred Rock X Ameraucana (or EE cross), so X2 on donrae and StarMeKritten's posts. Sorry about the goof. :eek:(

Back
Top Bottom