Rooster?

Well, my cockerel is doing great. Heard him try to crow for the first time the other day. Still trying to re-home him, but no luck yet. I have two possibilities, but just waiting to see if someone will say yes. Here is a more recent picture (or two) of him in all his glory. He is a big beautiful fella!!

Well, I was just up at the coop and while giving the "birds" their Happy Hens treats I discovered my other white Brahma is also a cockerel...
barnie.gif
I can see his pretty green tail feathers coming in and his bright red waddles. So now I have two males that I really didn't want. Maybe one each of my two possible homes will each want a pretty white Brahma guy!!! Wish me luck.

You know, the one on the right might still yet be female, I had a couple females trick me for a while! But good luck! I wasn't ever planning on keeping roosters, but I have found them to be my favorites now! The crowing really isn't bothersome, and they don't do it at night, if you live somewhere your aloud to keep a rooster, you may want to reconsider. Poor roosters have a tough time getting homes. They do go through a little teen boy stage when hormones start kicking in, but after a month or so they settle into being a man and calm down and become a wonderful addition to your flock. Good luck to you!

Just wanted to update about my cockerels. Yes, there are two of them. Both are crowing up a storm. It sounds funny in the mornings when they are both crowing. My question now is, do I need to separate them? Right now they are getting along ok. No problems, but they are still young birds. One is nearly 5 months old, the other is a month younger at nearly 4 months old.

I wanted to give my final update on my cockerels. I have finally found them a new home with a good friend of ours who has a big farm and can free range them with his flock. I am very happy that they went there, but kind of miss them as well. They really had a lot of personality and I loved listening to them both crowing in the mornings when they were ready to come of the hen house. My hens are now the ones who are showing personality. They greet me at the door of the chicken yard now when I come up with food and talk to me when I say "Hi Ladies!" Very happy girls now, especially my little crippled girl who used to not come out of the hen house, Now I see her out with everyone else.

Back
Top Bottom