Rooster?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Ccdance75, Oct 16, 2019.

1. Ccdance75

Ccdance75 Chirping

Jul 24, 2015
    I'm not really sure where to post this but I'll try here...
    I think I may have a rooster, just 4 months old, are you able to tell? I can't get a pic of her right now because she runs everytime
    i get close. She does have a feathery tail but NO red on her face. I think she started "talking" yesterday, half crow, half owl "who". I think I read a hen can crow? She's in with 6 older birds and they seem to get along ok. She also came with two birds her age who are much smaller and they hang together.

I'll try and get a pic later on today but what do I do with a rooster?? Can we eat the eggs if they are fertilized? I've had hens for 5 years and never a rooster!

chrissynemetz and ValerieJ like this.
  2. ValerieJ

ValerieJ Crossing the Road

Jul 24, 2016
    Washington State
    Yes, you can eat fertilized eggs. And when you have a broody hen, you can allow her to raise your next set of chicks. I hope your cockerel is a nice one, if indeed you have one.

chrissynemetz likes this.
  3. SueT

SueT Crossing the Road

May 27, 2015
    SW MO
    There's a forum called "What Breed or Gender is This,"" you can post your photo there. Yes you can eat fertile eggs!!!!! It makes no difference if they aren't incubated. Throughout history and around the world, people have eaten fertile eggs.

4. aart

aart Chicken Juggler!

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    We'll move this thread there.
    But yes, @Ccdance75 , we need pics.

Last edited: Oct 17, 2019
    chrissynemetz, Ccdance75 and SueT like this.
  5. Frazzemrat1

Frazzemrat1 Free Ranging

May 8, 2017
    Eastern Connecticut
    :caf

chrissynemetz likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: