Rooster

Colberon

Songster
Jul 2, 2019
Northern Maine
Is there any evidence that a rooster's crowing keeps predators away? The reason I ask if we have one rooster and five hens; he was very easy going and docile for quite a while but now he is getting more and more aggressive and is over mating the girls and can also be mean to them. The only reason I have not got rid of him is I think his very loud and almost constant crowing may be keeping the girls safe. We live in the far north of Maine and there are MANY predators on our property, including, racoons, fox, bald eagles and bear. (Almost a year ago a bear broke into our coop one afternoon in broad daylight and killed almost all of our chickens and we have recently had a bear cub walk right through our front yard in broad daylight.)

If anything I think roosters crowing attracts predators, it tells them there's food nearby.

I love roosters, but it sounds like yours needs to go. Try another rooster, because they CAN protect your hens and help put them all in the coop in the evening if it's a good roo. Some are just bad at their job and those need to go.

I've had multiple amazing roosters that were people friendly and super protective, they also never over mated. So I know there are perfect roosters out there!

My suggestion would be to get rid of him. A predator will take a rooster too if it got the chance. From my experiences a rooster's crow has had no effect on predators here. It just tells them there are chickens and maybe a meal.

If anything I think roosters crowing attracts predators, it tells them there's food nearby.

I love roosters, but it sounds like yours needs to go. Try another rooster, because they CAN protect your hens and help put them all in the coop in the evening if it's a good roo. Some are just bad at their job and those need to go.

I've had multiple amazing roosters that were people friendly and super protective, they also never over mated. So I know there are perfect roosters out there!
:welcome :frow There are plenty of good males. I won't keep a male if it isn't a gentlemen. We do have a bimonthly farm swap so any I don't keep I sell. Good luck

Back
Top Bottom