Rooster?

CoFarmer

In the Brooder
Jun 9, 2022
Bayfield, CO
Of my 6 “guaranteed” hens, this one sure looks like a rooster? This photo was at about 8 weeks

Attachments

• 0280A4D5-9A75-46B3-8B5C-CD2397E69463.jpeg
    0280A4D5-9A75-46B3-8B5C-CD2397E69463.jpeg
    548.5 KB · Views: 8
Of my 6 “guaranteed” hens, this one sure looks like a rooster? This photo was at about 8 weeks
So, my handsome Rooster crowed “for real” for the first time yesterday. I’ve learned a lot about the terrible doom these little guys face at birth and then later in life. I never intended to feel strongly about poultry, of either sex (I’m a lifetime dog lover) but, dang. Since we have a ranch, I’m considering creating a rooster refuge. Please dissuade me. All I wanted was fresh eggs, when I started this journey. Lol

Last edited:
So, my handsome Rooster crowed “for real” for the first time yesterday. I’ve learned a lot about the terrible doom these little guys face at birth and then later in life. I never intended to feel strongly about poultry, of either sex (I’m a lifetime dog lover) but, dang. Since we have a ranch, I’m considering creating a rooster refuge. Please dissuade me. All I wanted was fresh eggs, when I started this journey. Lol
I love roosters! My favorite part about owning chickens! I keep a lot of my roosters as pets, they will follow me around and sleep on me all day! Rooster refuge is a bad idea though, many birds come from diseases flocks. MG, Marek's, etc. are not fun... I had a friend in Arkansas that was taking in all sorts of free roos, a few weeks in and a lot of her flock came down with a respiratory infection, along with a form of ocular Marek's... The responsible thing would be to cull the flock, but she didn't and now her heartache of lost birds will be spread, as they will pass at different times, and she will spread infection from her clothing and through wild birds to others flocks. Maybe join a local chicken group and see if any one has roos to rehome from a seemingly healthy flock, just watch for fighting, as they can be pretty brutal creatures...

Back
Top Bottom