Rooster???

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by clacasse88, Jun 26, 2010.

1. clacasse88

clacasse88 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 13, 2009
    This EE is about 3 months old. I'm not sure how to tell if rooster vs. pullet. I have a few roosters that I can definitely tell are roos, but this one isn't so clear to me.

What do you think?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Knock Kneed Hen

Knock Kneed Hen California Dream'in Chickens

Feb 15, 2010
    So. Cal.
    I have 6 EE's all 3 mos. old and they are barely even showing a comb. I would say rooster but then, what do I know??? This is my first flock [​IMG]

Pretty feathering [​IMG]

3. Iluvmypeeps

Iluvmypeeps Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2010
    Arizona
    That comb is a very vibrant red, and the tail feathers curve downward. Both of those attributes say rooster.

4. lurky

lurky Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2007
    Western MA
    Yes!

5. justmeandtheflock

justmeandtheflock Overrun with ducklings :)

May 27, 2009
    NW NJ
    It's a boy, my girls don't have that large of a comb. some of the girls did get red combs early but they never got that big. The color pattern is also rooish.

6. clacasse88

Sep 13, 2009
    I'm so confused about this rooster thing. I have so many roosters . . . and thought this one could have been a pullet. The sickles on most of the roosters (who are crowing) have the feathers going upwards with very colorful feathers. They also have a very red comb -- one has a comb that is very red, big & solid and the others that have the 3 "blobby lines". This seems to be different with the not as red comb and sickles going downwards.

It's very unanimous though -- you all think rooster

[​IMG]

7. KandJsmama

KandJsmama Chillin' With My Peeps

My pullets didn't have any red in their combs until almost the point of lay so I would guess roo. Easter eggers are "hen feathered" so that probably led to the confusion.

8. clacasse88

Sep 13, 2009
    Quote:When did your hens start laying?

Last edited: Jun 26, 2010
  9. juliechick

juliechick Transplanted Hillbilly

Jun 27, 2008
    Southeast AR
    Quote:Don't mean to be rude, but EE's are NOT hen feathered. The roosters have curved tail feathers and pointed hackles and saddles just like roosters are supposed to. Sebrights are an example of a "hen feathered" breed.

10. High Roost Ranch

High Roost Ranch The Chicken Whisperer

That's a cockerel. And EE's are not hen feathered as was stated.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by