rooster

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by aljiv, Nov 20, 2010.

1. aljiv

aljiv Out Of The Brooder

Jan 11, 2010
    Kalamazoo, Mi
    Which breed has the best rooster in your opinion? You know; takes the best care of his girls, keeps a good eye out for predators, defends his flock that sort of thing.

2. sgtmom52

sgtmom52 Birds & Bees

I have 3 roosters right now and each has his own group of girls. All 3 are about the same age ~ an EExBO mix, an Ameraucana and a bantam cochin. The most attentive to his ladies and most watchful one is the bantam cochin roo although I don't know how good he would be at protection!

3. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    I've read a lot of good stuff about Cochin roos, not just bantam, but you will get some good roos (and some bad) in any breed. Just make room in the freezer for the bad ones; they still taste good....

4. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Both my rooster and my cockerel are excellent about watching out for dangers and taking care of their girls. My rooster was never rough with the girls before they were laying, my cockerel was but he's growing out of it.

My #1 roo, the best roo in the world IMO, is a LF dark brahma. My cockerel is a turken (naked neck).

Thor:

[​IMG]

Impy:

[​IMG]

5. sheilawagner

sheilawagner Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 16, 2010
    Pacific NorthWest
    Of my 4 Cochin bantam cockerels, only 1 (Smokey) is the best. I'm keeping his sidekick, a 2nd in command.

[​IMG]
    He is very attentive to his ladies, he follows them around while they peck and forage, and he stands guard over them, watching and waiting. He hardly ever gets rough with them, wooing them gently and patiently. When I come out with oats and treats, he calls them and everyone runs to me, but he doesn't start eating, instead he watches politely and waits till the ladies have enough and then he starts eating.

I'm culling 2 of my cochin bantam roos, selling them off on Craigslist, because they bully the hens and draw blood out of each other. Yesterday was the final straw, because they drew blood on one another's combs and wattles, and I had to take them in, clean their wounds, and keep them in chicken hospital (our house) for recuperation. Nothing wrong with taking care of them, but I really don't want any major fights in my flock, the blood can stimulate more bad behavior in the rest of the flock, and to maintain peace and order, those who don't agree to the rules will just have to go.

Last edited: Nov 20, 2010
  6. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    I think the answer, in all reality, is just about any breed. It depends on the individual. [​IMG]

I personally find that my Ameraucanas and Araucanas are the best. They're not cocky, they're very loving towards people and their hens/pullets, and they don't force things. They're the more likely breed of mine to not give hens a bare back. Also they're quite protective and concerned for their flock.

I believe the only ones I'd warn about are hatchery stock Rocks, Rhode Island Reds, Easter Eggers, and Wyandottes.

7. aljiv

aljiv Out Of The Brooder

Jan 11, 2010
    Kalamazoo, Mi
    Thanks for all the info. I was thinking the same thing; that it depends more on the individual than the breed. gonna start a new flock this spring. wish me luck

8. AJ666

AJ666 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 5, 2010
    La Crosse, WI
    EE's and BO's. I currently have an EE and he is simply wonderful [​IMG]

9. DebbieLynn

DebbieLynn Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 9, 2009
    East Tennessee
    As stated before there are good roos and bad roos in every breed, my BR is very patient and kind with his girls and he never eats until they get their fill, watches out for them and while he's not a lap chicken he has never attempted to go after humans at all and I hope he never does cause his spurs are ginormous!![​IMG] [​IMG]

10. Supermommy486

Supermommy486 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2010
    South Central Texas
    Definitely just depends on the bird it's self. I have a EE and a BO. The BO is not very protective but the EE is.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by