Rooster

luckyiam

Hatching
8 Years
Sep 1, 2011
Hi, new here and to owning chickens. I have 14 hens and 1 Rooster ( by accident) all are only 13 weeks old. S/o wants to get rid of the rooster, I don't. Neightbor says keep him the eggs will have more protien and the hens will be happier. I was wondering what your experiences are with this. Thanks and have a great day.
big_smile.png

welcome-byc.gif
We ended up with a roo too. He is the best thing to ever happen. Our girls are quite happy and he is the sweetest to them. I am so glad that they mistakenly let him pass thru. We love having a roo and never knew we would enjoy chickens so much. Eggs are delicious is all I know.
celebrate.gif

AWE! I love mine too. He say's all the eggs will have a bloodspot in them, is that true?

Roosters can be great for a flock if they are gentle, attentive to the needs of the hens, and protect them from predators by sound warning and getting them to the coop. They are not necessary for eggs, and can be a nuisance if they become mean, aggressive to people, or are with too few hens and overmate causing feather loss. Bloodspots are harmless specks of blood or tissue in eggs that have nothing to do with being fertile.

Roosters can be nice if you treat them right. You have to let them know that you are the head rooster so they won't bother you. They are good for protection and for breeding later. I hope you live in an area that allows roosters. They can be loud sometimes. Over breeding can cause lots of feather loss. Chicken saddles are good for that. Mine were overbred and I had to kill off 2 (I only have one now) and I had to order chicken saddles to help my ladies feathers to grow back.

Why thank you very much. He is a good boy. He is just learing to crow this week, he still needs LOTS of practice.

Back
Top Bottom