1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Rooster

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Clucky Bagawk, Sep 9, 2011.

1. Clucky Bagawk

Clucky Bagawk New Egg

Mar 19, 2011
    Alot of my hens are missing feathers on their backs thanks to the rooster!. Will the cold affect the bare spots? I am considering finding a new home for the rooster!

2. rungirl

rungirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2010
    Columbus, Ohio
    Get some aprons for your hens or you can make them. There are threads out here you can search about it. They will protect the hen's back. You may need to trim some nails or spurs on the rooster also.

3. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    That does happen with roosters, and I like my hens to look pretty. I bought some of those hen saver aprons for a few of my gals to wear, and they looked so cute. They didn't seem to mind wearing them either.

Roosters are nice because they sort of act as a shepherd and look out for the flock, but if they're mean, I don't keep them. I have two coops. One is the big hen house and I have two roosters, and 9 hens, and the other is my bantam coop, with one rooster and four hens. I do like the roosters because I love to hear them crow, plus, they're beautiful.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by