Rooster??

clfehler

In the Brooder
7 Years
Apr 3, 2012
I'm almost positive this is a rooster, (Araucauna??) but I'd like some other opinions....whadaya think? I've got another one that's almost identical to it - just a little lighter in color, and both were supposed to be hens.

Also....the little one next to "him" was supposed to be a Black Minorca. I don't think so! You can't really tell in this picture, but it's very small too.

Thanks!
Cyndi

i think they both are pullets, but it would help if you get a closer one of their combs, and the black and white one looks like barred rock
big_smile.png

They're both pullets. The brown one is either a brown leghorn or welsummer. Leghorns have white earlobes and lay white eggs. Wellies have red lobes and lay darkish brown eggs. Their bodies are the same color, wellies are heftier at maturity.

The black and white bird is a barred rock pullet.

I was pretty sure the one on the right was a Barred Rock....but they said Black Minorca. As they grew and feathered out I knew something wasn't right.. I won't be buying from a feed store anymore. (I know that hatcheries sometimes aren't either.) I was told that the one on the left is an Araucauna.
barnie.gif
I really wanted some green/blue-ish eggs. I'm trying to get more pictures, but these gals just aren't in the mod for posing.

Thanks for your input!!

Cyndi

she looks exactly like my brown leghorn... (pullet - I have a boy and a girl :)
probably the same age - 11-12 weeks??

this picture is from about 3-4 weeks ago - you can already see his crown turning red

here is both Sam and Ella (sam is the one with the comb) about 2 weeks ago

Back
Top Bottom