Roosters--aggressive or nice?

Is your rooster (or are your roosters generally) nice or aggressive?

• He's a lovable pet

Votes: 15 34.1%
  • He is not aggressive, but doesn't really care for attention

Votes: 24 54.5%
  • He keeps a suspicious eye on me

Votes: 9 20.5%
  • He has attacked or might attack

Votes: 9 20.5%
  • Tornado with feathers and claws

Votes: 4 9.1%

• Total voters
My 14 month old EE Roo recently became aggressive when the weather started warming up. I guess his hormones finally kicked in full force. It's unfortunate because he was such a good boy. He is a lone rooster and has 14 hens and is definitely cock of the walk. He was hand raised as a day old chick and had lots of interaction. Some comments above said that may be a contributing factor? Idk, but i know he became a totally difference chicken this spring, since becoming a "man." And when i voted "tornado with feathers and claws," i didn't exaggerate. He is hell. He rules the yard (they are 100% free range) and its impossible for my children and i to enjoy being outside. The moment you step outside he is in attack mode. He stalks you. He doesnt even wait for you to turn your back anymore, he just runs right up and waits for you to make the slightest movement. He attacks violently. If i didnt keep his spurs and claws short and dull, he would do serious damage. My husband and i have somewhat of a bluff in on him because weve learned to take a weapon with us if we need to go outside or want to be outside. (Rake, broom, waterhose, whatever is in sight really, lol) But my 3 and 4 year old, thats not whats on their minds when they're excited to go out and play on the trampoline or something. They are his favorite targets because they dont fight back. They're vulnerable to him and he knows it. My children can't be comfortable in their own yard. They're terrified to even play outside and i hate that for them. I won't have it. I love Rusty but he will be dinner soon!!

My 14 month old EE Roo recently became aggressive when the weather started warming up. I guess his hormones finally kicked in full force. It's unfortunate because he was such a good boy. He is a lone rooster and has 14 hens and is definitely cock of the walk. He was hand raised as a day old chick and had lots of interaction. Some comments above said that may be a contributing factor? Idk, but i know he became a totally difference chicken this spring, since becoming a "man." And when i voted "tornado with feathers and claws," i didn't exaggerate. He is hell. He rules the yard (they are 100% free range) and its impossible for my children and i to enjoy being outside. The moment you step outside he is in attack mode. He stalks you. He doesnt even wait for you to turn your back anymore, he just runs right up and waits for you to make the slightest movement. He attacks violently. If i didnt keep his spurs and claws short and dull, he would do serious damage. My husband and i have somewhat of a bluff in on him because weve learned to take a weapon with us if we need to go outside or want to be outside. (Rake, broom, waterhose, whatever is in sight really, lol) But my 3 and 4 year old, thats not whats on their minds when they're excited to go out and play on the trampoline or something. They are his favorite targets because they dont fight back. They're vulnerable to him and he knows it. My children can't be comfortable in their own yard. They're terrified to even play outside and i hate that for them. I won't have it. I love Rusty but he will be dinner soon!!

They don't need to be terrorized by a rogue roo. There are nice roos out there that your children can enjoy. You wouldn't want them to grow up disliking chickens.

It looks like the votes are pretty much all over, but tending a bit more toward the acceptable behavior side. So it looks like there is probably more of a problem out there than I expected.

This is my first experience with chickens, and my boy is not of a breed that's known for being affectionate. He's not super affectionate--he's not a dog--but he will come over expecting to have his neck and chest feathers stroked and seems to like that. I don't overdo it. So far, he's been a good boy. He lets his girls eat first, and watches over them. He'll be a year old either this month or next month, not sure.

When I finally hatch out some eggs, half will be male, so I have been thinking about this.

It looks like the votes are pretty much all over, but tending a bit more toward the acceptable behavior side. So it looks like there is probably more of a problem out there than I expected.

This is my first experience with chickens, and my boy is not of a breed that's known for being affectionate. He's not super affectionate--he's not a dog--but he will come over expecting to have his neck and chest feathers stroked and seems to like that. I don't overdo it. So far, he's been a good boy. He lets his girls eat first, and watches over them. He'll be a year old either this month or next month, not sure.

When I finally hatch out some eggs, half will be male, so I have been thinking about this.
You just have to remember that, like with any animal, Roosters have natural instincts. And its impossible to breed some instincts out. A Roosters soul duity in its life is to breed and protect. Anything other than its mates are an enemy and a threat. They naturally have a fight or flight instinct. They don't have that pet instinct. Sure, there are Roosters that can differentiate and be manageable, or even be a sweet companion, but its rare and not to be "expected". Not reality i guess. Even with more docile breeds.

Last fall I bought my three pullets and cockerel, and my cockerel (soon to be a roo) is very good natured.

So a spring hatch if almost a year old? Were they raised together? is the flock the same age?

We have had early maturing and later maturing breeds. Currently have an 8.5 month old male who just began to mate the females, and has not yet crowed even once. We've had hormonally crazed males, which left the premises. We've had well behaved males too. So far, the worst ones were the ones that did not have older hens or rooster providing them manners. The males raised in a mixed flock tend to get their as$#* kicked often by the older ones, and seem to come out better for it.

So a spring hatch if almost a year old? Were they raised together? is the flock the same age?

We have had early maturing and later maturing breeds. Currently have an 8.5 month old male who just began to mate the females, and has not yet crowed even once. We've had hormonally crazed males, which left the premises. We've had well behaved males too. So far, the worst ones were the ones that did not have older hens or rooster providing them manners. The males raised in a mixed flock tend to get their as$#* kicked often by the older ones, and seem to come out better for it.
Yes. My Roo was out of the same age hatch. He and my 14 hens were raised together. They are about 14 months old and he is the only rooster. He was great until the weather started warming up and winter left. The breeding season and hormone rages completely changed him. He is a totally different bird.

I bought them as a quad at a chicken show from an exhibitor/judge. He told me which ones were hatched in which month, so it sounds like he had a few hatches last spring. I don't remember which hatched in April and which in May. The smallest pullet may have been in June. They have been housed together since I brought them home in late October. The male is fertilizing eggs and crowing.

On this forum, I see multiple threads about rooster aggression toward people, and am wondering if this is a common problem, or if it's only a minority of roosters who are causing all the fuss.

A lot of different opinions here, a lot of different experiences. That's what I'd expect on any chicken behavioral question. I'll give some of my opinions.

If you read enough posts on this forum you will find Silkies, Orpington, Games, Rocks, Wyandottes, and all other breeds where some roosters are terrors to their hens, to people, or both while other roosters of these breeds are the gentlest and sweetest. Breeds may have general tendencies but I find the personality of the individual to be much more important. For tendencies to mean anything you have to have enough for averages to mean something.

The nature verses nurture debate. How important is each? That debate has been going on forever, not just with roosters. Are some born evil or is it a learned behavior? In my opinion both are important but nature may be more important with some individuals, nurture more important with others. I believe you can shape the personality of your flock by selective breeding, hens as well as roosters. If certain behaviors win them a date with the stew pot then in a few generations you can have a flock that doesn't exhibit those behaviors very often. That doesn't mean you can totally breed it out but you can greatly reduce it. I also believe you can teach certain behaviors. In my opinion I believe nature is stronger in some individuals, in some nurture is stronger.

I believe strain has more to do with this than breed. If a breeder selects the ones that get to breed based on certain personalities and behaviors they will eventually have a flock that exhibits more of the behaviors they want. You cannot totally get rid of certain instincts but you can strengthen some and weaken others.

Many people on this forum form their opinion based on their immature cockerels and pullets behaviors. Things can be pretty wild when pullets and cockerels are going through puberty. The behaviors of mature hens and roosters can be a whole lot different than the behaviors of juveniles. When they mature they tend to calm down but getting through that phase can be really hard. I'm talking about both the behaviors between the boys and girls and the cockerels' behaviors toward humans. I give the cockerels a chance to learn that attacking humans is not good. If they don't learn that really quickly they don't get another chance.

I think our expectations play a part. What I might see as normal chickens behaviors other see as aggression. I don't have much tolerance for human aggression but chickens naturally do things. I remember the lady on here who grabbed her shotgun and blew away a neighbor's free ranging rooster that was "raping" her free ranging hens. The rooster and the hens were just doing what was natural, if you let them free range you should expect that.

I think the way we keep them plays a part. If we keep them penned in a small area where we have a lot of interaction the chances of human aggression goes way up. I think this is especially true if we have kid out there playing. Even if the kids are not chasing the chickens they are running around screaming and can easily look as if they are threatening his hens to the rooster.

As to your basic question, how common is aggression, I don't have a good answer. Some people tend to have a lot more problems than others. To me it is not so much that 30% or 70% will be deemed aggressive, but it's what your rooster does. It's either 0% or 100%. I suggest you pay attention and protect your family.

We all have a tendency to anthropomorphise animals. This is a mistake. They are animals with brains the size of a peanut so best to remember that. You can't reason with them or get them to see things your way. It's always best to understand the Rooster's psychology and biological drives. He is the protector of his flock and will jealously guard that role. Some are gentle King's..some tyrants. When you come into HIS realm you are on his turf. He has a reputation to uphold among the other birds and any usurpation of his authority will only piss him off. I've learned to bring treats to him first and he distributes them to the girls. This seems to put him in a good mood and doesn't start us off on the wrong track. Some of the hens love to jump on my lap when I sit down in the run or onto my shoudler while performing tasks. I see him get annoyed with this but overall he tolerates it IF I begin the contact on a positive note. One began attacking humans and I tried all the things people recommend. Pick them up and carry them around, pet them, calm them etc. I found this actually made it worse because it humiliates him in front of the flock. They do not like being pet and picked up for the most part. There are outliers of course, but it has to be on their terms. As he escalated, and I began pinning him down (as recommended) he became more aggressive. I eventually had to separate him to a 2nd run. Some simply will not accept being #2 on the totem pole and will fight to the death. I began with Cochins as they were reportedly among the most docile of the breeds. I've found this not to be the case with my Roo. He is stubborn and head-strong. I'm hoping things calm down as he gets older. I'm not giving up on him because he's a gallant protector and peace-keeper in the flock. Don't tell him this but I actually admire his moxie. We can take a lesson from these birds.

I have had hundreds of males over the years but I also have hatch out hundreds of chicks of which around half will be males. I have rarely had an aggressive male. I have on a couple of occasions and they went bye bye. I don't think you can attribute it to specific breeds. It just happens now and then. Here is a young Rhode Island White male that was being bullied and beaten up by some other young males in a bachelor coop and pen. I put him in with my special bird and he eventually bonded with her. At first he was freaked and couldn't walk so I made him a special place and with some TLC he got better. He decided he was going to jump me and my DH. When he did it I put him in his coop which he didn't like. He wanted to be out with my Gladys. He wouldn't stop this behavior so I gave him to a fellow who was looking for a RIW male as a breeder. I told the fellow about the aggression but he said he didn't care as there aren't many RIW breeders around. I don't know if the change made any difference or not. I never heard back from the fellow. All of my males are good.
IMG_20171113_161721.jpg

Back
Top Bottom