Roosters are awesome

I want to know this too. I have a 10-week old Black Copper Maran that's 5 weeks older than the rest of the flock. I thought I had 11 pullets, but one of the Starlight Green Eggers turned out to be a roo. There's been a bit of a power struggle between them, but I think the bigger Maran is winning the battle. I'm not sure what I'll do if they can't get along. There are 12, so enough to separate. Do you have to build separate coops/runs?
Sometimes they will work it out and coexist, sometimes it won't and you have to decide to separate or cull one of them.
I had to separate my 2 because it was their second fight. First time was bloody, second time Kong broke a spur off and it never grew back. I already had the mixed flock before getting my Marans so I created 2 flocks. I can concentrate on breeding my Black Coppers and the Olive Eggers and Marans hybrids I produce are the no brainers. It originally wasn't suppose to go that way, tho. I only ordered 1 cockerel, King was accidental. But it worked out. 👍

Oh. Thanks for letting me know. I'll have to do more research. I've only given them a small amount and mostly the fruit without the leaves.

Sounds like a great boy you got, pics of him?

Fyi... I've read strawberry tops are toxic to chickens. I don't feed them to my birds. Is this true? Don't know... just letting you know

https://ranchr.ag/blog/can-chickens-eat-strawberries/#:~:text=Can chickens eat the tops,tops, stems, and leaves.
Forgot to attach the pictures.

Attachments

• 20240503_100756.jpg
    20240503_100756.jpg
    780.2 KB · Views: 3
  • 20240503_100802.jpg
    20240503_100802.jpg
    623.2 KB · Views: 3
I want to know this too. I have a 10-week old Black Copper Maran that's 5 weeks older than the rest of the flock. I thought I had 11 pullets, but one of the Starlight Green Eggers turned out to be a roo. There's been a bit of a power struggle between them, but I think the bigger Maran is winning the battle. I'm not sure what I'll do if they can't get along. There are 12, so enough to separate. Do you have to build separate coops/runs?
I'm a little unconventional. All my coops are in my pole barn so I don't have to build fort Knox style coops but I'm starting 2 more coops to get Marans and the ducks out.
Anyways... I have 4 coops at the moment 1 Marans, 1 brooder coop attached to Marans for integration on one side. 1 mixed flock and the duck coop. Once integrated that frees up the brooder coop to a separation coop for a medical coop or for separating the pullets at point of lay or the randy cockerels. Once the duck coop is rebuilt outside that frees that up also.
Each flock has their run on each side of the barn and I have a third run behind the barn on a slider door for an emergency run when needed for separation. I also have another gobbly gook of a run I quickly threw together just 3' tall so I could bring the babies out and in sight of me at the main man door.
Like I said in a previous post I either have an extra fence a foot away from the runs or I still have their wind breaks up on the sides of the run to keep the boys from fighting thru the hardware cloth.
I free range both flocks pretty much 1/2 day each every day but depending on circumstances I sometimes free range each flock every other day. I'm hoping by the end of the year to have a third flock, it'll get interesting then. I need more fencing, but by building the new Marans coop that frees me up another coop.

Hope that helps....🙂

See that’s what’s I’ve been saying! I love roosters. But everywhere I look online there’s so much rooster hate:( I know some can be “less than gentlemanly” but in general they’re just awesome!
Each rooster I have had, has had a different personality. Richard was good to his girls but not so good with people. Then there is Mr. P. I rescued him from a feed store and nursed him back to health. He loves people, takes great care of his girls and asks us for help when he needs it. He even walks between my legs trying to get my attention! Lastly, I have Jr. He is still young, just coming into adulthood. He is great with his girls but will attack a person any chance he gets! If he does come after me, I simply pick him up and carry him around for a few minutes. He is fine for a few days then it starts all over again. I hope he grows out of it.

Hi, I live in the country and about a 1/2-1 mile away from a neighbor who apparently has a rooster. I’ve heard him crow everyday for weeks. (I love a roosters crow so fine by me). Anyway, I put my RSL pullets outside full time about 5-6 days ago. And they loved the coop but were scared to go into the run. They’d only come out if I was out there with them until..they heard the rooster crow. At first I thought it was a coincidence but everyday only when the rooster starts crowing will they go into the run without me. This morning we raised the coop door, and walked back onto the porch. The girls stayed in the coop, my hubby says I’ll go lure them out. I said just wait. About 6:15 or so Rooster starts crowing out my girls came. It is the coolest thing. I’ve got a baby roo atm he’s only 4-5 weeks but I’m hoping my girls listen to him as well as the rando rooster down the road lol.
Update: confirmed roosters are indeed awesome! So me and my gals are outside, and hear rando rooster wailing, ordinarily is just cock a doodle do, but this was a wail/scream crow. I thought he was being culled, or on fire or something. My girls starting screaming running directly to their coop, I’m still confused and hear a ruckus above me. 2 mockingbirds were attacking a hawk midair. This rooster has helped/alerted my girls several times, and he doesn’t even know it.

Back
Top Bottom