Roosters at 18 weeks - do they ever grow out of it?

This is a little off topic, but figured I’d ask...do roosters add value (not monetary) to a flock? If someone‘s intent isn’t to hatch chicks, and there isn’t free-ranging activity for a rooster to manage, should someone still have one for a flock? I have eight girls - only three are old enough to lay - and I’ve wondered why people have roosters (not a snarky question - genuinely wonder). Do they keep the ladies in line? Calm them? Keep them from bad behavior (I have a feather picker EE right now)? Anything of that sort? Or are they mostly breeding / watchdog beneficial?

A rooster does change the flock dynamics. An all hen flock will focus on you, a flock with a mature established rooster, they will focus on him. So it kind of depends on you. Currently I have an all hen flock, but I will be hatching in the spring, and I will want a rooster. I like that flock dynamic better.

Some do keep the ladies in line, but it is never been noticed by me. Some say they do nothing for predators - but a good one, really does take care of my flock in the day time. Not all roosters are good roosters, and some are terrible.

Mrs K

This is a little off topic, but figured I’d ask...do roosters add value (not monetary) to a flock? If someone‘s intent isn’t to hatch chicks, and there isn’t free-ranging activity for a rooster to manage, should someone still have one for a flock? I have eight girls - only three are old enough to lay - and I’ve wondered why people have roosters (not a snarky question - genuinely wonder). Do they keep the ladies in line? Calm them? Keep them from bad behavior (I have a feather picker EE right now)? Anything of that sort? Or are they mostly breeding / watchdog beneficial?

Personally, I like the sound of a crowing rooster.

I also love their beauty.

Back
Top Bottom