Roosters attacking hens

into_my_web

Songster
10 Years
Jun 20, 2009
Newfoundland
I wasn't really sure if this was the place to put this but it seems like a behavioral type question.
I have two three month old roosters and I recently bought a year old hen because she was very pretty and my two roosters keep attacking her and they tore off a part of her comb. I was wondering if they were attacking her because they both want her? But the thing is they don't attack the three month old hens. I was told that I would have to get rid of a rooster, is this true?
Thank-you.
Also, don't worry I moved the hen over with the baby chickens so she wont get hurt.

Last edited:
I was just going to post my own, but saw yours at the top of the forum. My guess is that it won't stop. And you don't want to be like me: I just went to let mine out of the coop and their was a dead hen, blood all over the walls and the rooster standing over a dead hen. They are all young, too. The rooster has just started all his rooster behavior. I'm so mad I could ring his neck right now. I split them up and will figure out what to do today.

Usually they only attack hens if there is something wrong with the hen..sickness or she wont submit to them... Its also very rare..
Either way..i dont think i'd keep a roo that nasty to my hens..

Last edited:
I don't believe there is anything wrong with her and they haven't done this before. I have another older hen, she's about five years old and they pecked at her a little but not enough to make her bleed or anything but now they are fine with her. It seems to be just this hen.

Back
Top Bottom