Roosters beating up my hens

deerslayer6

In the Brooder
Jun 14, 2021
My chickens are about 18 weeks old now and are just starting to lay eggs. I ended up with two roosters and they are terrorizing the hens constantly all day long. Will they let up as time goes by. Is it just because they are young? Also the roosters aren't doing a very good job at protecting the hens. I let them free range and I have lost four already. I'm thinking I need to get rid of the roosters so the rest can relax a little bit.

Down to four hens that are the same age and introducing three more hens that are about 14 weeks old.

Down to four hens that are the same age and introducing three more hens that are about 14 weeks old.
The recommended ratio is one rooster for every ten hens. For four hens even one rooster is a bit much. You might be okay with one rooster for seven hens but you should separate the rooster until the younger ones are laying age. Or get rid of both roosters and get a new one when the young hens are old enough.

Why do you want a rooster?
If your reasoning is that he will do battle with preditors, and you will not have daytime losses with your free range flock, that is an unrealistic expectation.
No rooster will be able to beat and defend against fox coyote or hawk. Overly brave roosters are more than not dead roosters.
Nothing protects your chickens like a secure coop and run.
I recommend one nice rooster (not one overly rough with the hens) and never a human aggresive one.
Or, no rooster at all. The hens dont need him in order to lay eggs.
Good luck!

I'm thinking I need to get rid of the roosters so the rest can relax a little bit.
Get rid of at least one of the males.
Multiple males create an environment of competition,
And can bring out the worst in all their behaviors.

The recommended ratio is one rooster for every ten hens.
The 'rooster' to hen ratio of 1:10 that is often cited is primarily for fertility efficiency in commercial breeding facilities.

It doesn't mean that if a cockbird has 10 hens that he won't abuse or over mate them.

Many breeders keep pairs, trios, quads, etc ....short term and/or long term.

It all depends on the temperaments of the cock and hens and sometimes housing provided.

Backyard flocks can achieve good fertility with a larger ratio.

hens that are about 14 weeks old.
FYI-PSA.....semantics, maybe, but can be important communication terms when discussing chicken behavior.

Female chickens are called pullets until one year of age, then they are called hens.

Male chickens are called cockerels until one year of age, then they are called cocks(or cockbirds or roosters).

Age in weeks or months is always a good thing to note.

Back
Top Bottom