Rooster's behavior? What should I do?

Thank you all so much.

I just want to do the right thing for my Chickens and Roosters. I really enjoy having them. I think that my BO (alpha) and BR (Beta) make a good team. I just don't want there to be any drama with them. I will definitely keep my eye on my BR rooster. I won't tolerate a mean rooster as I have a 4 year old. I am also not afraid of my roosters. Again Thank you so much.

Thanks so much for the article link, aoxa! It was very helpful. I've got my problems pinned so now I can start fixing them. (I accidentally let my BA become Alpha Male.)

Thank you aoxa for the site. I just finished reading it. I do have a question about the mating part. I want my roosters to mate my hens so that we can have chicks. So I am suppose to not let my roosters mate my hens when I am around? I am outside with them alot. Such as cleaning the coop, working in the yard, my daughter plays outside, etc... They are free range.

What that normally means, if the roo starts to mate a hen right near you, just nudge him off her and don't let him continue. You don't have to chase down every potential mating and stop it....just the ones in your immediate reach. A dominant roo will not let a subordinate mate in his reach without rushing him and knocking him off if he doesn't jump off and run on his own.

Thank you for responding Beekissed. I really appreciate it very much.
smile.png

I had one roo that started dancing towards me and one roo that started biting ( which I figured out he was trying to mate ). I know some people are talking against pinning but, I tell ya it was very effective with both of my roos. When I asked for advice on here that is what I was told and also carrying them around. When they started looking at me like they were gonna try something I would pin them, very gently until they became submissive. I did have to do it about three or four times the first week. I would also pick them up and parade them around and pet them. I believe that is humiliating for them. After a couple weeks they both seemed to be doing better. I also used the stare down thing and waited on them to walk away. I now just hold them and pet them every once in a while, so far they are both staying in check and it has been about a month. If they start up we will do it all over again. I think the walking up every once in a while and maybe stomping your foot even when things are under control might be a good idea. I don't think the kicking thing is a good idea, well unless it is actively trying to flog you. Everything will be okay if you do these things,
hugs.gif
I know it is tough. Unfortunately if you want a roo I think you have to do this.

Good luck

I have 1 RIR Roo. to 20 hens. During the 18 to 24 weeks of age I had my doubts as to if I was going to keep him. He would look at me and Rush to mate like to say see I am Boss. Well I tried the holding and Pin to the Ground Method and Finally within Arms reach Method needless to say he went scattering to the coop as fast as a chicken can run. Since well reciently I noticed he keeps more than an Arms reach from me he does not take his eyes off me and always keeps his distance . He is alot calmer and as my kids say not trying to kill the hens.. he is dancing and when one lays an egg and starts to cackle he is the first to run over and see what is going on. when i feed them bread i can throw it right at him he will not pick up one piece intell all the hens are done. He always gives a short cackle as i leave the coop at night. he lets me give him a quick touch under the chin. so all and all he is good never agressive twords the kids.. I heard Horror Stories of Leghorns that were just the Devil. So in my opinion Many things may work. You need to find the one your Roo will Adapt too. :)

I have to tell you guys that you are awesome. Thank you so much for sharing. I feel better about my roosters. My alpha BO has always been sweet. He always put the girls first. He takes good care of his girls and keeps the BR rooster at bay. Now that I have made it very clear to my BR rooster he is not boss of me he stays clear of me. I have had to step in between the two roosters because my alpha is always chasing the BR away.

ive raised alot of game roosters, when i have one that attacks me or my doughter ( she is 6 now) i have tried to pin them down. pick them up and carry them around , chase them , it seems to me it makes them meaner, one i rescued from someone an this bird was what i call A MAN FIGHTER. granted alot of game birds are bred for their ability to fight . whith this partictular roo this went on for several weeks until one day after church i went to get the eggs with my daughter and when he turned on her he scared her pertty bad , so needless to say "Adof" met his match and spent a little time in ferrzer camp. he sure did make some yummy chicken and dumplings . and taylor( my daughter) said see daddy we should have eatem him a long time ago he is very tasty. next time can we have chicken nuggets? hahaha

One thing I will not tolerate it a mean rooster. I don't think that mine are mean, I just think my BR wanted to be my boss. He has also tried to be the boss of my toy poodle. He hasn't hurt my dog he just wanted to be able to chase him. Aron the dog didn't tolerate it either.
lau.gif
LOL The BR is bigger than my dog.

Back
Top Bottom