Roosters comb injured

Phalennichole

Chirping
Sep 11, 2021
Something got ahold of my silkie rooster. The top part of his comb is ripped from his head. I brought him inside and bathed him and but Bactine on it. His comb is now resting on his nose making it harder for him to breath. Any advice on how to help him!??? I feel terrible!

Attachments

• A1301246-74EA-4692-BF94-7C41D338DB54.jpeg
    A1301246-74EA-4692-BF94-7C41D338DB54.jpeg
    348.5 KB · Views: 14
  • F96C2637-A6C3-41CB-9BDF-C028C5903784.jpeg
    F96C2637-A6C3-41CB-9BDF-C028C5903784.jpeg
    411.6 KB · Views: 4
Do you think it was another chicken or rooster that attacked him? Can you take him to a vet? It is true that he may need some if not all of his comb dubbed (trimmed.) Has the bleeding stopped? Any head shaking can cause more bleeding. Dubbing a comb involves using a pair of very sharp scissors to trim off part of the comb. Corn starch or flour can be used to help stop bleeding. I would use some chlorhexidene spray on his comb to help disinfect it.

When I was googling on what to do I came across a video showing that. This is our first rooster we had gotten. We now have four. Two by mistake that I’m trying to rehome. I’m still getting the hang of this. It looks horrible to do. The video I watched they cut the ears and I’m like wth 😩. I thought maybe our Brahma roosters (4 months old) got him but they didn’t have blood on them so my husband said he thinks something bigger got him. He’s are top rooster so I’m shocked he’s the one hurt. Our other silkie rooster is the one he bullies and our Brahmas are scared of him.

None of our vets around here deal with chickens. I’ve called before about something else. They sounded like they thought I was insane. He’s not bleeding anymore. He’s just hanging out inside. He’s eating and drinking and I think mad because he’s not outside. I have This powder for pets to stop bleeding but I’ve never done that before. Lol I don’t even cut my dogs nails I take them to a groomer because I’m scared I’m gonna hurt them. 😂

Back
Top Bottom