roosters crowing

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by mikesbigroo, Nov 13, 2009.

1. mikesbigroo

mikesbigroo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 5, 2009
    Altamont
    I have a roo who is about 1yr old, crowing nicely, anyhow i have raised some chics that are now about 6 mts old, there is a couple roos in that batch, they never crow,, although the older roo is in a separate coop from them, is it normal for just one roo to crow, or will the other roos start crowing as well,, the older one is a sebright, the others are RIRs

2. smarsh

smarsh Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2009
    lexington, KY
    i am surprised they are not crowing but they will crow. i suspect roosters crow more when they hear others. it is a teritorial thing.

3. HBuehler

HBuehler Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2009
    Lebanon TN
    We have lots of roosters-25 or so...want more? Really most of mine never crow..I mean have not once dared to try.We have the King and his successors that crow and all the lowley paupers don't compete...many of those are older than the King of the pastures.It's more dominance than anything else...if they were to crow they know they would be quickly put back in the dungeon [​IMG] right back to the darkest spot in the coops.Our neighbors across the road also have a few so they talk all day to each other.
    Want funny watch a great big JG and BA roo being ordered around by a little Leghorn and Minorca(not tiny but much smaller)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by