Rooster's days are numbered!!!

Broodyhen

Hatching
9 Years
Apr 26, 2010
We think we have his final chapter written, but if anyone can offer advice, we'll try it. The rooster in question is a 6 month old EE who belongs to my friend. She has him with 6 hens. He's a beautiful bird, BUT: he's not gentle with his girls at all. They all have bald caps. One poor girl has lost most of her back feathers. He isn't very "courtly"...he's more of a "Oh, I see you there! wham, bam" sort of fellow.

We thought maybe we could add some more hens to the flock to take the pressure off his "favorite" (who would rather not be) But, he really struggles with letting other hens near his group. I've been taking care of him and his flock at my house this week, and I thought maybe his behaviour was b.c of stress.. One of my silikie pullets walked near his pen, and he flew at the door, squawking and screaming like she was a fox or something! Poor little silkie was so shocked she ran into a wall.

SO, I know what I would do, but what would you do?

THanks!

Same thing you would do. You especially don't want to hatch any chicks he's fathered, on the chance this trait can be passed on. The sad truth is there a re good roosters and there are, um, not so good ones. I simply won't let my hens be subjected to one.

You know what should be done with him. That is what I'd do.

I have two problem silkie x ee cockerels. I was hoping to keep one of them because they are so pretty and I need a larger rooster. The nicer of the two started attacking my broodie a few days ago. They aren't quite 16 weeks. I hope I can get them out to 20. I'll probably lock them up with the abusive Rock pullets away from the rest of the birds tomorrow when we can move the extra run and coop. Sometimes, days are just numbered and it's better for the flock to remove the problem.

That rooster needs to go. He is only doing what is in his nature, but his nature could get one of your ladies hurt. Flockwatcher is definately right you dont want that getting passed down the line.

This happens with my young roosters, they will rape chickens all day and night, they do grow out of it though but they won't see those days cause there in my freezer...

I think your neighbor needs to get a big, older rooster to show this young rooster some manners. Maybe a big Rhode Island Red rooster with three-inch spurs would do the trick. :)

My silkies are the exact same way. I thought I was bad as a teen but these guys are nonstop. Either they're fighting with each other or literally chasing tail. They are even the smallest birds in my flock and still get away with it.

If may just be teenager hormones. I would wait a while longer, and get those hens some saddles, and see if he grows out of it....

Back
Top Bottom