Roosters fighting

R_Tuggle

Chirping
Jan 11, 2018
Southern Maine
Hi there!
I have two roosters in my flock of 14. My RIR (Buck) is almost 2yrs old, and my White Plymouth Rock (Big T) is almost 1. The Big T is now taller than Buck and has started to challenge him. Last night when all of the hens had put themselves to bed in the coop at dusk, I noticed the roosters chasing each other around and fighting all over the backyard. When I went out, they were in the coop going at each other. I was able to get a hold of Big T, and get him away from Buck, and could see that they were both bloody on their Combs and Waddles from pecking each other. Buck has spurs that are almost 2" long... Big T's are just coming in at about 3/4".. and I didn't see any spur damage on Big T from the fight.
I haven't been able to get a good look at Buck yet, but I separated Big T and he stayed in our garage last night. His bleeding stopped last night, but he looks a mess. (Doesn't help that he's white so the blood shows so easily)
Should I clean him up before I send him back w/the flock?
I know that since Spring is almost here (despite the snow falling again today)... they will challenge each other for the lead position. They are both really good Roos.. and both take really good care of their ladies...
At what point should I be concerned, and potentially re-home one of the two?

You need to just clean up and give them antibiotics if they look bad When you put them back out I would put each in a separate cage next to each other Watch them awhile and see how they go.. Even if they want to fight just leave them and after awhile they may get tired and just give up But put them as close as you can in separate cages. Good luck

Hi there!
I have two roosters in my flock of 14. My RIR (Buck) is almost 2yrs old, and my White Plymouth Rock (Big T) is almost 1. The Big T is now taller than Buck and has started to challenge him. Last night when all of the hens had put themselves to bed in the coop at dusk, I noticed the roosters chasing each other around and fighting all over the backyard. When I went out, they were in the coop going at each other. I was able to get a hold of Big T, and get him away from Buck, and could see that they were both bloody on their Combs and Waddles from pecking each other. Buck has spurs that are almost 2" long... Big T's are just coming in at about 3/4".. and I didn't see any spur damage on Big T from the fight.
I haven't been able to get a good look at Buck yet, but I separated Big T and he stayed in our garage last night. His bleeding stopped last night, but he looks a mess. (Doesn't help that he's white so the blood shows so easily)
Should I clean him up before I send him back w/the flock?
I know that since Spring is almost here (despite the snow falling again today)... they will challenge each other for the lead position. They are both really good Roos.. and both take really good care of their ladies...
At what point should I be concerned, and potentially re-home one of the two?
They're just doing what roosters do when hens are thrown into the mix; re-integrating him will only make matters worse, 'cause then he'll be regarded as an outsider.
If I had them, & liked them both, I'd give each his own facility, & split the hens between them.

Unless one or the other of your roosters gives in to his nemesis this squabble will never be resolved. The only other outcome lacking a total butt whipping of one or the other is that one of your roosters, and perhaps both of them will die from their injuries.

Now I have seen the situation where roosters would establish his own harem or walk if given enough hens and about 10-15 acres of free ranging territory for each rooster but this is on the conditions that there is sufficient food, water, loafing space, roosting areas, and some kind of object or structure for each flock to gravitate to or call the center of their world. Enough hens is normally a 100 or so for each rooster. What this does is that it poses a problem for the roosters about whether they will attempt to chase down hens who fly the coop so to speak and risk the loss of other hens in his harem who may take off in the cock-of-the-walks absence. It is quite comical to see each rooster patrolling the borders of no-mans-land and trying to head off dissatisfied hens while at the same time attempting to woe hens from his enemie's camp. In other words the flock masters are too busy and stressed out by their own chaotic family life that they can't find the time to fight each other.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/covering-everything-rooster-for-newbies.73680/Cleaning him up would be best.Taking them and letting them fight is a good option,when things are getting bad Seperate for a few minutes then put back together,almost like a boxing ring.It will help them calm down and sort things out.You could just Seperate them.
Or you could end up with a dead rooster. Happened to a friend of mine. There are no absolutes in chicken keeping.

I usually let my boys work it out. Once there is a clear loser, the winner should back off and go about his usual business. If the winner does not stop his attacks after the other has clearly given up the fight, then it's time to step in and separate. You need to be sure there is plenty of room, though so that the losers can get out of sight from the winner. Every spring, the boys goes through this dominance ritual. These battles determine their pecking order for the rest of the year. Comb injuries bleed a lot, but are just superficial.

I really haven’t tried the method I mentioned.I have seen and heard it been down before,which is why it was a suggestion,but I would trim spurs,almost taking them completely off but that is need to be done with lots of profession.Then fights don’t seem to be as violent.I just like keeping rmy roosters around so sometimes I try letting them work it out and if proceeds to get worse I might Seperate or get rid of unfortunately.

It would be nice if they can work it out, but then again, having two separate flocks might be the best solution. Or rehoming one of them, if possible. It's spring, hormones are climbing, and this happens. If everyone is miserable, it's time to fix things.
Mary

Back
Top Bottom