Roosters fighting

shakin_the_trees

Chirping
Apr 7, 2022
I’ve had 2 roosters for over a year. My OG Hootie and his son Kyle have been fighting here and there until yesterday Hootie was no where to be found. I ended up finding him down in the woods crouched down and traumatized. I think he was defeated in an ultimate battle. I ended up putting him in my secondary coop area. And Kyle was stalking him and scarring him. He looks defeated. Like he has no spirit left. Kyle won’t let him any where near the coop. I now have him separated completely in the garage to heal. Has anyone had experience with this? Everything I’ve read says cull one or rehome 😞 any advice? What would you do?

Everything I’ve read says cull one or rehome 😞 any advice? What would you do?
I think there are really only 3 options that can work in your situation:
--cull one
--rehome one
--keep them in separate pens

I’ve had 2 roosters for over a year. My OG Hootie and his son Kyle have been fighting here and there until yesterday
What breed is OG?

Some kinds of roosters absolutely cannot live together (gamefowl). Some kinds of roosters can generally live together (most of the common commercially-raised breeds fall in this category). But individual temperament matters too, so even some that "should" be able to live together will actually not. Yours have obviously decided that living together is not going to happen.

Hootie was no where to be found. I ended up finding him down in the woods crouched down and traumatized. I think he was defeated in an ultimate battle. I ended up putting him in my secondary coop area. And Kyle was stalking him and scarring him. He looks defeated. Like he has no spirit left. Kyle won’t let him any where near the coop.
If they were wild chickens, the loser would go live somewhere else, far enough away to avoid fights. Or he would get eaten by a predator. Domestic chickens do not usually have the option of moving far enough away, and of course you don't want either one getting eaten by a predator, so that's why people usually recommend separate coops, or rehoming one, or culling one.

I’m torn on what to do. Makes it too hard to even think about culling.. and no one around here wants an extra roo. Especially with his history
Well, if you don't want to cull him, and no-one else wants an extra roo, then I think keeping them separate is really the only option :idunnoI don't have any suggestions about which ones should go in which particular pens to make it work.

Chickens can be pretty brutal to each other sometimes, which leaves the people with difficult choices.

Well, if you don't want to cull him, and no-one else wants an extra roo, then I think keeping them separate is really the only option :idunnoI don't have any suggestions about which ones should go in which particular pens to make it work.

Chickens can be pretty brutal to each other sometimes, which leaves the people with difficult choices.
Do you think it’s a bad idea to put him with a single hen and 2, week old chicks?

Do you think it’s a bad idea to put him with a single hen and 2, week old chicks?
I don't know exactly what will happen, but you could try it and watch what happens.

He might try to mate with her too often, and cause problems by pestering her. He could attack the chicks, although I think that is much less likely than pestering the hen.

Or she might bully him and chase him away from the chicks, and make his life miserable. Hens can be quite vicious when they think they are protecting their babies.

Or they might all be fine together.

Any time you deal with a very small number of chickens, their individual personalities have a very big effect, and that is something that cannot really be predicted. You just have to try it, and watch carefully.

Until you decide what you want to do with him, let him have two of his favourite hens to keep him company and help rebuild his confidence.

Another option: alternate keeping each of the roosters crated for one day while the other one roams freely with the flock.

I truly believe animals understand what we say which is a good thing! I love my chickens but I'm not a push over. I let them know from the start if they fight I'll rotate them and keep them in cages at night if I have to.To prove my point I locked them both in cages side by side for 3 days before turning them loose in the flock and they've never been in a fight.

I’ve had 2 roosters for over a year. My OG Hootie and his son Kyle have been fighting here and there until yesterday Hootie was no where to be found. I ended up finding him down in the woods crouched down and traumatized. I think he was defeated in an ultimate battle. I ended up putting him in my secondary coop area. And Kyle was stalking him and scarring him. He looks defeated. Like he has no spirit left. Kyle won’t let him any where near the coop. I now have him separated completely in the garage to heal. Has anyone had experience with this? Everything I’ve read says cull one or rehome 😞 any advice? What would you do?
That is so sad! We have a rooster who fathered several boys and for now they are too young to challenge him, but now that I read your story, I'll reconsider when to get rid of his sons as I don't want it to leave too late and poor Harvey (father) is traumatised for life.

Back
Top Bottom