Roosters from same hatchings...

MrChello

Hatching
7 Years
Sep 22, 2012
I am very new to chickens and have a mixed flock.

I have several roosters and i am contemplating raising pullets to replish my stock of the various true breeds that i have.

Currently i have Dark, Light Std Brahmas (2 dark hens and 1 light hen), Buff Bantam Brahmas (6 roos and 4 hens - same hatchings), Partridge Chantecler (1 roo and 1 hen), Black and Blue Orpington (3 black hens and 4 blue hens), Black Ameraucana (3 Hens), Welsummers (4 Hens).

Here's my dilemma...

I know at some point i will want to try my hand at replishing my flock with PURE chickens of the same breed; in particular, i would like to start with my Partridge Chantecler.

I understand i will have to separate the breeds and let the rooster ferilize the same breed hen for several weeks to ensure reproduction of true breed.

My Partrdige Chantecler Rooster is not the same breeding/hatching as my Partrdige Chantecler Hen, however my Buff Brahmas Bantams are all from the same breeding/hatching.

Should the rooster be from different breedings/hatching if i want to some day replenish my Buff Brahmas Bantams?

Is "outcrossing" lines within breeds of chickens a good practice, and why?

Most breeders say it's not a good idea to employ "brother/sister" mating. Outcrossing with a completely different line brings in diversity and typically makes a flock stronger (as in, stronger immune systems, recessive genes not as likely to show themselves, etc.)

How do you then, increase desirable traits?

Is this why people speak about lines; so we can "line" breed for specific qualities i.e. egg laying ability and colour, etc, or does this line breeding still create problems ???

Back
Top Bottom