1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

roosters gone wild?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by pipthepeep, Jan 1, 2011.

1. pipthepeep

pipthepeep Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2010
    What would cause two 10 month old roosters who have been together since they were day old chicks, with no hens around, to suddenly try to kill each other?? In the past they have had some minor sparring issues...some blood no cause for concern....but yesterday when I was letting them back in their coop after free-ranging, they literally tried to kill one another...I had to separate them with a stick...blood everywhere and parts of wattles missing...complete bloodbath! I thought usually roos were only territorial if hens were in the picture? Or sometimes there is just no explaining? Once this happens, is the only option to separate them permanently...doesnt seem like they will go back to being "friends"! It doesn't really matter in the long-run I guess, as one of them is being re-homed in a few days...but it came out of nowhere so I would like to learn if there is a possible explanation...

2. JustAChickenLittle&More

JustAChickenLittle&More Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 25, 2010
    Florida
    "men"o pausal roo's?

3. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    I'm afraid the cause is hormones. Good thing you are rehoming because I doubt you could ever pen them together again.

4. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Hormones it is. Sometimes they will develop a truce after such a conflict if they have enough space to stay out of one another's territory. More frequently it will be an ongoing battle.

5. bburn

bburn Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2010
    Delaware, Arkansas
    It is kind of sad the way roosters are. I am finally down to one rooster in each pen. It was quite upsetting when the fighting broke out at around 20 weeks on roosters that had been raised together. I know it was because of the hens at that time. Finally got it down to a reasonable four. Then three. Then two.....and finally one. Three coops and runs. One rooster for each.

And no more roosters for me. Or, at least one in each run.

6. pipthepeep

Aug 19, 2010
    Yes definitely seems like the "ongoing battle" theory is proving true, as today they were fighting through the chicken wire. I think that the little leghorn that used to back down when they would start sparring has decided he is tired of backing down...he may be less than half the size of the other roo, but he sure is plucky (no pun intended!) Oh well it was nice while it lasted.

On another note, my one roo is being rehomed to someone who wants a roo as a flock protector. My guy has never been around hens, so I am wondering what the best way is to introduce him to the girls...Should we just turn him loose and things should settle down after some initial chasing/biting/ unpleasantness? Or should they meet through chicken wire first to acclimate?

7. Pinky

Pinky Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 15, 2008
    South GA
    I would first let them see each other through wire or a cage. Then let him free with the hens.

8. 7L Farm

7L Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2010
    Anderson, Texas
    I would throw him in with the girls. Thats what I did.

9. TeamChaos

TeamChaos Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 8, 2009
    Yep, my guys were peaceful pals one day and formidable opponents the next. It's got to be hormones. It's still frustrating!

10. pipthepeep

Aug 19, 2010
    Ugh they are like teenagers with out of control hormones....Guess my little leghorn roo will have to learn how to get along with a hen or two....we will see how that goes:) He's an odd little bird...seems to think that I am his flock...or possibly that he is a person-- he doesn't care much for other birds and crows all the time when I am out of sight. But he needs a new friend and i can't spend all my time with him, so it's back to the drawing board!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by