Roosters have nightmares?

MareeZoCool

Songster
9 Years
Feb 3, 2010
Ohio - Mid Ohio Valley
th.gif
Last night after midnight, my hubby heard our roo squaking and making lots of strange noises in the coop. He saw nothing(predators) near the coop. and nothing inside except the hen & roo.
This morning, roo was crowing as usual. When I released them, I noticed his comb & top of head have some dried blood. My hen looks fine, nothing crusty or brown on her. Should I try to treat roo's wound?(comb has scabby crust on tips.)

I use antibiotic ointment (no lidocaine) on mine. He has a big comb and injured it by rubbing against his now modified feeder.

Is it possible that you have rats, mice or possibly some night coop dwelling parasite? Mites can also make the birds restless after dark. I've heard that rats and mice will sometimes bite chickens at night and they would be hard to spot unless you catch them at the right moment. I would do some more investigation after dark. Go in with a flashlight and check under perches for red mites or salt and pepper look a likes and check on the bird around the vent area. Could also be nothing.

Back
Top Bottom