Roosters.. it’s time for them to go?

chickenchicklady

Songster
Apr 23, 2019
I notice these guys fighting a lot. Are all they roosters?

Attachments

• AFA7A003-5D42-4AE7-9ED1-F1E513301FBF.jpeg
    AFA7A003-5D42-4AE7-9ED1-F1E513301FBF.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 16
  • FF616DED-8936-42B9-A655-217C509A70FA.jpeg
    FF616DED-8936-42B9-A655-217C509A70FA.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 16
  • 73B97A28-1EEB-4FF5-869E-25BDDFDB3EBB.jpeg
    73B97A28-1EEB-4FF5-869E-25BDDFDB3EBB.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 15
  • 10942BEF-E029-45B6-B379-6F341D0158D2.jpeg
    10942BEF-E029-45B6-B379-6F341D0158D2.jpeg
    939.2 KB · Views: 14
It's normal for cockerals to fight when they're young. They're trying to establish a pecking order. I would suggest waiting and seeing if they get along once a pecking order is established. Two roos is usually bad, for some reason having 3 or four seems to balance things out. If they start drawing blood and hurting eachother seriously you'll have to rehome or cull some, but I wouldn't be too hasty, some roos work well together, others don't. Every chicken is an individual, and every flock is an individual flock.

I’m only allowed to have one roo in my subdivision. So unfortunately I have to get rid of them. .☹️
It's normal for cockerals to fight when they're young. They're trying to establish a pecking order. I would suggest waiting and seeing if they get along once a pecking order is established. Two roos is usually bad, for some reason having 3 or four seems to balance things out. If they start drawing blood and hurting eachother seriously you'll have to rehome or cull some, but I wouldn't be too hasty, some roos work well together, others don't. Every chicken is an individual, and every flock is an individual flock.

I’m only allowed to have one roo in my subdivision. So unfortunately I have to get rid of them. .☹

Have any of them started to crow yet?

I'm guessing you can get away with keeping them all until there are 2 or more crowing. That will give you a little more time to make up your mind.

(Crowing is usually the thing that bothers people, which is why I'm guessing you can keep as many as you like until they start crowing.)

Two of them kinda have started to crow. Not a full crow, but they’re trying!
Have any of them started to crow yet?

I'm guessing you can get away with keeping them all until there are 2 or more crowing. That will give you a little more time to make up your mind.

(Crowing is usually the thing that bothers people, which is why I'm guessing you can keep as many as you like until they start crowing.)

I’m only allowed to have one roo in my subdivision. So unfortunately I have to get rid of them. .☹
I'm so sorry to hear that! That's rediculous since one roo will crow just as well as two and one rooster alone could be a bad aggressive roo, and multiple good roos aren't more likely to hurt someone! In fact lone roos may get more cocky and thus more aggressive, the one aggressive rooster we had was a lone rooster! But I really have no idea if the number of roos is a link to aggression, and I suppose you're lucky for any roos to be allowed at all.
If you have pullets/hens, allow THEM to voice an opinion on the matter. You'll know the one that the girls favor, they'll hover around him, he'll tidbit for them. Barring a genetic deformity or an attitude that you just don't like, the voting on that cockerel ought to weigh a bit more.
I totally agree! The hens are who the rooster will be protecting, so their voice should matter in this process.

Back
Top Bottom