Rooster's nose is bad, real bad. What to do?

I know this post is old, but I have a nine year old silky hen who has been having the same thing in her nostril for about a month. It is just on the left side. It is crusty and hard on the outside but chunky like cottage cheese on the inside. It is yellow and smells absolutely horrible! It also seems to be eating away at her nostril. I pick out what I can every morning and apply Neosporin. When I get a really big chunk it seems to tear the nostril and there is some bleeding. Regardless of how much i remove, there is more the next day. She does have labored breathing, but seems normal other than that. She does share a coop with seven other chickens, and other than molting at a terrible time of year they are all fine. If anyone has any idea what this could be, please let me know.

Sometimes they can get feed stuck in the nose causing a blockage over time that turns into a concrete-like substance. It sounds like it could be canker. Could you post a picture? Have you looked inside at the roof of her beak? If it is canker, there may be yellow cheesy plaques inside the beak. Fish Zole (Flagyl, Metronadizole) is the treatment. For a silkie the dosage would probably be a lot less than the 250mg daily for 5 days that standard size chickens get. Here is some info and a link for fish zole: http://www.revivalanimal.com/Fish-and-Bird-Antibiotics.html

Oral Canker

Oral Canker is a condition which can be found in a wide variety of birds and most commonly in pigeons.
Causes

It is caused by a motile protozoal parasite called Trichomonas gallinae.
This parasite can cause caseous lesions of the mouth, pharynx, oesophagus and in certain circumstances, further down the digestive tract. These lesions can become extremely extensive.
This causes the birds to stop eating and drinking, in severe cases the extensive nature of the lesions combined with not eating and drinking leads the chickens to die.

Diagnosis

Diagnosis is often based upon clinical signs but wet smears can be examined under the microscope to confirm clinical suspicions. Speak to your vet.
Treatment

The treatment traditionally involved the use of a drug called Dimetridazole, however, this drug is no longer available or licensed for use in the UK.
The affected chicken in these photos was treated with Metronidazole, this is a UK licensed medication but is not used in poultry therefore it had to be prescribed under the rules of the Veterinary Medicines Directorate cascade. This also means that any eggs the chicken may lay during treatment and for a specified period after treatment would need to be discarded. Her eggs must never be sold for human consumption. The owner of the hen was extremely pleased with the outcome and has supplied us with plenty of photos to monitor the hen’s progress.

Hello

In my case the chicken deceased. This is not what you wanted to hear, I know.
I went to the vet that did not give me much hope. His diagnosis was smallpox in the nose / sinuses, but it was already far advanced. I have given about two weeks injections with antibiotics.
For several weeks I flushed the nose and removed as many tissue but it just kept coming back. The chicken suffered and after a while I had to let her go.
The inside of her mouth was normal. No slime or tissue.

The characteristic feature of this condition is the cheese-like substance that is,according to my vet, dried snot . It keeps coming out of the nose and is grown to the skin. When you take it out it starts to bleed.

Here's a picture before removal:

And here's after:

I Hope in your case it's something totally different! Good luck!

Hi. Thank you so much for your update. I am sorry for your loss. My little Francis is running around, eating with her family. She seems to feel okay. I have been dealing with this for over a month. Told it is something different by everyone I talk to. It sounds and looks just like your case, so if I ever get this figured out for sure, I will let you know. Everyday I clean some of the stuff out if need and put a little antigungal cram in her nostril. It has slowed down since I switched from Neosporin to antigungal cream. I was putting Sulmet in her water for several days and that seemed to slow it down. Everyone else in her family is totally fine. (Fowl pox is contagious... And is a virus that is supposed to run its course in about a month.?.?.?)
Like I said, still not sure, but my old lady is still going. ;) Thanks again and God Bless!

Back
Top Bottom