Roosters or Hens?

Four Chickens

Hatching
7 Years
Oct 22, 2012
Hudson Valley, NY
Hi I am new here (my first post) and to chickens. I think we have all hens but I am really not sure. I have been surfing BYC to try and figure out their sex but when I found this thread, I was so relieved as I have driving myself crazy!

I am trying to ensure that we have all hens as last weekend we discovered our Big Mama was in fact a Big Papa! We called the person who sold them to us three weeks ago and we traded (that sounds wrong, I know they are not cars -pets for us) and got a small Leghorn mixed hen, Honey (#1). But now I am paranoid that we will suddenly find out we have another rooster when they find their voice and I don't want to go there since we cannot have a rooster where we live. No one is laying yet as I think Honey (#1), Little Chicken (#2) are the youngest and I think Gallina (# 3) has not started to lay and Fricassee (#4) is 2 years old.

I believe three are mixed breeds (Leghorn, Wyandotte and Buff Orph) with I think one pure Wyandotte. Please give me your opinion on age, breed and sex.

Thanks so much!

Honey (#1)

Honey (#1)

Chicken Little (#2)

Gallina (#3)

Gallina (#3)

Fricassee (#4)

Fricassee (#4)

donrae

Hopelessly Addicted
Premium Feather Member
9 Years
Jun 18, 2010
Southern Oregon
I think honey may be a roo. A better profile shot would help, and do you know how old the bird is?
I think this because it looks like some goldish leakage is coming in on the shoulders, and I almost think I see saddle feathers. Leghorns are hard to go by the comb, so knowing age will help a lot.

The others all look wyandotte or wyandotte mix and I blieve are all hens. Chicken little I can't be sure as I can't see the comb well but I think she's a colombian wyandotte. Gallina looks like a buff colombian wyandotte, but I don't know if that's a color they really come in or if she's mixed. But I don't see any Orpington in her, that comb says both her parents probably were rose combed. And Fricasse is a pretty silver laced wyandotte hen.

Four Chickens

Hatching
7 Years
Oct 22, 2012
Hudson Valley, NY
Thanks for all of your replies! I am so worried about another rooster in the mix, as it means I have to go back to the guy who sold them to me (not excited to do that!) and I really don't want another surprise at dawn.

My biggest concern was Honey and I had added two profile picture (I had a hard time getting her feet in the first one) and a top view of "her" rear end. I am not sure how old she is but they told me the younger ones were getting close to laying and they thought she was a Orphington mix because of the coloring at her neck. Thanks for any and all feedback.

donrae

Hopelessly Addicted
Premium Feather Member
9 Years
Jun 18, 2010
Southern Oregon
I'm not positive, especially without knowing age, but I'm leaning toward roo. Post pics again in 4 ish weeks and we should have a better idea.

Of course, if it starts crowing, pics are a moot point!

Top Bottom