Rooster's role during hatching

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Chickennutteacher, Jan 22, 2010.

1. Chickennutteacher

Chickennutteacher Out Of The Brooder

Jan 22, 2010
    Davis, CA
    I have a pair of Serama chickens. They are such a sweet and loving couple. The hen started sitting on 5 of her eggs this past week. Is it okay for the rooster to stay in the same cage during this time and after the chicks hatch? They get very upset when they are separated.

2. seminolewind

seminolewind Flock Mistress Premium Member

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    Yea, she will put him in his place if he gets too close to the chicks. My silkie was in with 2 roos and all they did was pace back and forth in the waiting room

3. Chickennutteacher

Chickennutteacher Out Of The Brooder

Jan 22, 2010
    Davis, CA
    Oh good! thanks!

4. Lollipop

Lollipop Chillin' With My Peeps

Much depends on the rooster. Some roosters are so aggressive that they won`t leave a hen alone as she broods. Best to watch closely. Even if you don`t see him bothering her, she may show some tell tale signs, if he`s a bad boy. If he can`t stand being alone for 3 weeks, just feel his pain, or get him another girlfriend.

I had s a similar situation. I bought a house in FL that had a resident game hen. I felt sorry for her, so I bought a gamecock to keep her company. Along with the cock came another hen. Not long after, both hens started setting. The boy was distraught. They were all free range. The cock would roost as much as an hour before dark and not fly down until the sun had been up for a while. Any hour of the day it was possible to see him running through the bushes and around the yard for no good reason. After the eggs hatched, he was a great father and his sinces seemed to return.

Now, a young rooster and other hens, are a danger to chicks. A mature cock will usually be a good father. Be sure to observe and make sure the hen is up to the task of protecting her young, as some are not. Hope this little insight helps. Have fun.........Pop

5. TXmom

TXmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Some broodies are great protectors, but my Silkie mama was not able to protect her babies from the other chickens (hens and roos). I lost 2 chicks the day they hatched, so I brought the Silkie and her 2 surviving babies inside and put them in the brooder for a couple weeks.

Yours might do fine together, you just need to keep an eye on them and make sure he isn't aggressive to the babies.

6. Barred Rocker

Barred Rocker cracked egg

Jul 15, 2009
    King and Queen Co, Va
    It will depend on the disposition of the roo and the hen. My bantams seem to know their place in these situations. All it takes is a puffed up posture and a growl from the hen and the rooster puts some distance between them. The funny part is that after about 4 or 5 weeks the hen loses interest in the chicks and the roo takes over and the chicks just love daddy.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by